Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing Inner Metal Edge
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:00 pm 

Anyone have a write up, video, or pics of installing a metal edge on the inside after the diy split's been cut?

Post subject: Re: Installing Inner Metal Edge
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:04 pm 

Check out Alaska Custom Splitboards in Palmer, they do a killer job! http://www.akcustomsplitboards.com/ Installing inside edges takes special tools and not to mention some skills!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:06 am 

sweet, but this is the diy section bro i want to do it myself so i can save cash, someone on here as to have done it who can supply some info

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:59 am 

Unless you have access to a wood shop with endless bits, clamps etc. You really won't save money, but it is a fun to try it. Check out http://www.johncarolin.com/2010/12/diy-splitboard/ might be able to get some info from this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:52 am 

AlasKan wrote:
this is the diy section bro i want to do it myself so i can save cash
Unless you have a ton of tools already you are not going to save much cash. I ended up buying so many odd & ends (bit/sandpaper/files/drills & bits/clamps/$100 of epoxy/etc/etc..) it might be cheaper just to but a splitty.

Also I would not use the method shown on the link. Quote "Unfor­tu­nately, late on day three on my split­board, ... I ripped out a heel-side edge on a rock. "

If you have the master carpentry / woodworking skills (because its not about snowboarding skills), and have a ton of good tools in a shop then give it a go and post your work. I would recommend using a router with maybe a custom bit, or at least try several different groove type router bits to get the correct cut-away. Don't remove the base material like that guy did. You want the router to do that work , then you and pound the edge into a pre-epoxied groove, clamp the wholly hell out of it (1 clamp every 1-2 inches) to keep the edge from floating around, and maybe even some set screws at the ends to hold everything in place. you may need a grinder to finish and smooth everything out.

I personally don't think the inside edge is worth the work or is that important for functionality. Plus if you take a rock in the middle of your board (just where you should) you could end up with major damage and a multiple edge repairs instead of just some scratches.

All that aside I love this kind of shit. Building your own split is the way to go. Good luck and post some pic's!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm 

well put PedroDelfuego, not saying i would do it the same way he did either, might help someone think outside the box though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:56 pm 

You dnt need many tools, but you do need a few clamps and a craft knife.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9093

Cut board>sperate base from core/remove a bit of the core>slip edge in>epoxy and clamp>build edge up with a hard wood/epoxy everyting is up to you.

Splitting boards was easy. It was much harder building a diy voile kit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:31 pm 

thanks chrisNZ looks good, I plan to fab my own interface, hooks, and climbing heels as well, the board will be a Lib Skunk Ape so we'll see how it turns out

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:05 pm 

Nice, its fun building something that works. Just starting a new binding interface for this (New Zealand) winter after testing and working out what is good and what sucks last winter.
Id skip the Chinese hooks and either order kakoram clips or find sme suitcase clips or build something similar. Also if ur building your own pucks use as many factory inserts as you can, stronger and less holes in your board.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:13 pm 

right on good to know, where abouts in new zealand do you live? im from alaska and will be headed to queenstown in august for some shreadin and traveling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:34 pm 

AlasKan wrote:
right on good to know, where abouts in new zealand do you live? im from alaska and will be headed to queenstown in august for some shreadin and traveling

Christchurch, bout 6hrs drive north of queenstown. Cool im going to canada next winter and would love to get to alsaka, any idea where would be best to go? is it best in spring? so much stuff i need to look up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:11 am 

yea man i had thought about going to christchuch, but im planning on workin at mt hutt or cardrona for the last couple months, then il head to the east coast and start surfing, There are dozens of places to board in ak the three bigest being Thompson Pass near Valdez, The Chugach mountains on the Kenia Peninsula, and Hains. What are your stomping grounds around christchurch?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 am 

Club fields around canterbury (Broken River, Olympus, Cragiburn and Temple Basin all with in an hour of each other and 1.5hrs from christchurch). Mt hutt for park, and travel to wanaka for a few weeks in august. Hit me up when your here and we sort out some touring. Surf pumps in late winter/spring too so you wont be disappointed, its cold thou.