Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How close can I place t-nuts to each other?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 pm 

How close can I place t-nuts to each other?

I'm doing a DIY split on a Fish, and would like to have two different positions to place the rear pucks. However, it would place 4 t-nuts in a row, with exactly 1" between them. If that ok, or is it too many holes in too small of an area?

Post subject: Re: How close can I place t-nuts to each other?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 am 

why you ned t-nuts? build your own sliderpucks and youse the orginal hols...

Burton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 am 

I don't have the necessary equipment to build my own pucks. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 am 

like burton says, you can build your own pucks & use the existing factory inserts to minimize the impact on your board. Simple - THE FEWER HOLES THE BETTER :thumpsup:

If you don't have the gear for that and are using the voile universal pucks and would like the adjustment 4 holes per puck provides - it's your call, it works. But I've realized that many people want the mucho adjustment up front but when it comes to actuality, they rarely use the options. Look at the factory inserts, look at the sidecut, setback, look at your stance width and think a little to make the best choice. If you're swapping a board between some folks... makes some sense for more options.

I go with stationary pucks on my personal boards. LESS IMPACT. My latest personal board - 0 holes. I've mentioned this to a few people, but I notice more flex impact after drilling a shit-ton of 3\4" holes in the base of a board than after the board is cut - make the holes count... for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 am 

If you want to build it like the factory style boards with multiple stance options it will cost you more but I did it on my O-sin fishtail and I did it two days ago on my Burton Johan. It works great. But now my friends want to borrow all my gear cause its adjustable. Moochers.

You'll have to buy Universal pucks to go with this. You can't use the DIY ones. The holes in the picture below are exactly 1" apart.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:05 pm 

Basically, this whole issue came around because Burton changed the reference stance width on the Fish from 20" to 21" (they moved the rear inserts back). The Fish I split is an older one, and unknown to me at the time had a 20" reference stance width. Since I always ride 21" in softboots, I just centered the puck template on the inserts. Now that I've finished, I realized the bindings are only 20" apart.

After thinking about it, I figured it might be nice to the ability to adjust how far back I am based on conditions, but I'd also really like to be able to use the stance I usually ride.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 pm 

Your quastion:How close can I place t-nuts to each other?

you se board s with holepatern s about 20 x 40 mm importand for this is the diameter of the basehead. but this is a insert patern for a factory board.

for DIY splits is the importand " dont make a swiss chease "

dont make the mistake and drill to much DIY inserts in your core.
the upperbelt and topbelt from a one pice board is not the same as a factory splitboard setup.

first you cut your one pice board in the middel . roving layers 0 ^ 35-45° +- fiberroving - cut - the working rovings in the half distance.
next you drill 3 ore more lines of insert .... touringbracket - climbinbar - sliderpucks.

the importand thing on a splitboard is the touringbracket - the must be 110% work.

my mine is no drilling - only youse the orginal inserts and all other glue.

Burton