Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitting a Lib Tech Skunk 190
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:33 am 

Hi All,
I am new to the forum, hope you are all having a good winter, the snow is fantastic here in Colorado! So, I ride a Prior, but have split a couple of boards before, and recently a friend of mine (6'7", ~240) asked me to split his Skunk Ape 190 Magne-Traction.
After taking a look at it, I am a little concerned with it's over all length, and am wondering if anyone has experience splitting a board of this size. I am wondering if we are going to need a 3rd and or 4th set of chinese hooks to keep it acting as a single unit. Also, I know this is a wood core board, does anyone know if there are fibre/fabric layers that will tear out if cut with a standard carbide toothed skill saw blade? Any comments are welcome, time to get the big boy off snow shoes!
Thanks!
Tim
Prior Khyber

Post subject: Re: Splitting a Lib Tech Skunk 190
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:47 am 

Libs are great to split. The blade shouldn't be an issue, just move slowly as you cut. About the extra hooks, there's a post from last week about using a long pin (found at ACE) through both of the touring brackets to help solidify the board. This will minimize the swiss cheese effect of the board, as well as stiffen'er up. Good Luck, I can't wait to see it. :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

Oh and wear gloves, the Golden Fleece, (which is basalt based) digs itself into your fingers and hands for a few weeks otherwise.

Here's a link about the long pin.
http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10407

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 am 

I just cut a Skunk Ape 172 two days ago with no problems. I clamped on a straight 2x6 as a guide fence which worked great. I used a 40 tooth thin kerf carbide blade. I would recommend Freud Diablo blades and maybe even go for a 60 tooth.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 am 

Did you cut this? Pics man.