Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Split NoBoard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:54 pm 

Noboarding looked like fun way to mix it up from time to time, but who wants to noboard inbounds or have to bootpack or slowshoe to get the goods? Not I. The only way I was going to give real snowsurfing a shot was to do it via skinning.

So, inspired by the package that Almond Mfg is producing (snowsurf.ca) I decided to make a "NoSplit" interface myself.

I had heard noboarding was significantly harder; turns out that was an understatement.
A buddy of mine had just finished building his first split, so I thought his inaugural day would be a good mellow day to test out the no-split. We took a binding lap on Mt. Herman and liked the snow so I gave the noboard a try. A normally pretty manageable face became one of the scariest runs ever. But I guess that's what I wanted, a fun way to add some excitement to mellow riding. Probably should have started on an even more mellow face, but it worked out more or less.

Anyways, here's a picture of the setup, let me know what you think. Stoke, suggestions, whatever.

Post subject: Re: Split NoBoard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 am 

Nice work. How did you do it? Materials etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm 

I dig your wallpaper!

Also, the ride looks really solid. I also recently learned how different not being strapped in is when I converted an old board. Your traction pads look like they should work quite well - I on the other hand resorted to whatever I had lying around in the garage - roof shingles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:03 pm 

My first thought was smaller foot pads. Those things must be deadening a huge portion of your board. Other than that, I bet that thing is a blast. I bought a sick stick planning on splitting it eventually. So far working well as a pow slayer in bounds too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:12 pm 

Awesome work dude! I won a set of the WhiteWave pads at the Canuck Splitfest and can't wait to try it out. Just have to move my rear pucks back to clear the heel risers and I'll be out surfing too!

ehcarley wrote:
My first thought was smaller foot pads. Those things must be deadening a huge portion of your board. Other than that, I bet that thing is a blast. I bought a sick stick planning on splitting it eventually. So far working well as a pow slayer in bounds too.

From the looks of things, those appear to be mounted on the Voile slider plates, rather than replacing them all-together as the WhiteWave pads do, and so ride above the topsheet a ways.. So I'd wager they don't do any more deadening the usual strap in setup on a solid or a split.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:39 pm 

Nice work wackozacho! Looks like a fun setup. The sickstick looks like a good deck to do some loose bootin' on. With so many folk using the sparks these days it's nice to see there is still some use for the old slider tracks.