Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking about Cutting my Ice Axe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 am 

I have a 65cm traditional ice axe that seems to be a bit long. I was thinking about hacking off the bottom spike at a 45degree angle like BD's Raven Ultra at around 55cm. This would obviously make it lighter, shorter and more for steep slopes, which is why I bought it. I have poles for low angle stuff so I don't think that I need such a long axe handle, ready to impale me if I fall while riding. Should I cut it or return it? Part of me wants to do both, of course not simultaneously. :guinness:

Post subject: Re: Thinking about Cutting my Ice Axe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 am 

My ice axe has a stud that I could grind off and redrill to mount the tip back on if I were to decide to cut my axe shorter. Getting rid of the tip all together would also allow for great penetration and further lighten your pack. Might have to resharpen it though to rock damage and then you are also risking the possibility that they used very thin material in the handle which would be much stronger leaving the tip intact. I think the safest bet would be to trade it in for one that is the right size that you are looking for.

Post subject: Re: Thinking about Cutting my Ice Axe
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:34 pm 

Your in the PNW right hoglord? I think you'll like your axe a litttle longer for most things axe related. Navigating glaciers for example or early morning spring days where your french stepping up a 30-40 degree slopes, etc. I find even when I'm hiking steep stuff I keep a shortened pole in one hand and my axe in the other and most the time I'm using my axe more as a pole than an axe. If your riding super gnar, steep lines it's probably better to go buy two ice climbing specific axes. Thats my take anyways, hope it helps.