Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: who else has messed up a diy splitboard?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:17 pm 

i'm just about finished with my first split project and today it became very clear that just about everything didn't go as planned on the build. to be honest, i didn't have high expectations for it in the first place as it was my first split and my experience with powertools has been quite limited up until this point. the board i cut (158 rome anthem) was going to be retired this season until i decided to try my hand at making a homemade splitboard, so if/when it breaks it won't be much of a loss. so anyway, here's a list of some of my mistakes and what i've learned from them. it's a bit long, but i figure that if this information will help to keep somebody else from making the same mistakes, then it's worth posting.

1. the cut down the middle was a bit off. got some help from my dad on this part as i didn't want my first experience with a jigsaw to be one where accuracy with the cut was very important. lacking sawhorses, we used a small work table and clamped the board to that. the center was measured out and then marked with a chalk line. for a jig we had two pieces of some flexible, manufactured wood that my dad had. here's where one of the first problems came about, at some point the pieces of wood shifted slightly, which caused the cut to not line up properly. this probably happened as we moved the board on the work table as it wasn't long enough for the entire board to be clamped to it securely. we also didn't cut in one clean swoop, it dawned on me as my dad started to cut from the opposite end of where he started that there is a good chance the cut wouldn't line up and just that happened. i cut the edges at the tip and tail with a hacksaw, but apparently i didn't cut in far enough on one end and the saw just barely caught the inner part of the edge and caused a tiny bit of chipping. aside from those problems, the rest of the cut was very clean and straight. it's only really a cosmetic issue anyway.

2. one set of the chinese hooks didn't line up. not too sure how this one happened with the templates, but i have an idea. i was really worried about getting the board halves together as closely as possible, and without any clamps that would have held them in place, i tried to hold them together by hand as i applied the templates. i originally was going to use the baseplates from my bindings to hold the boards together, but with the amount of material that had been removed, they didn't take out the slight gap between the boards. my guess is the board shifted at some point. the boards do have a very tight fit, but one set of chinese hooks has half the contact of the other set (i'll post some pics later).

3. drilled the holes for the touring brackets too deep. i think this one was just some ignorance on my part. i overestimated the amount that i needed to take out to get the t-nuts to sit below the rest of the base so i had room for epoxy and the p-tex discs. i also realized that either the wood-boring bit i was using was a bit dull or just that wood-boring bits aren't the best tool for the job. i eventually figured out that the best depth was just below the layer of fiberglass after the base, but some more material was taken out on a few of the holes as the bit caused some splintering in the wood. i did find that my best results came when i kept the speed of the drill constant and just varied the pressure down on it. i found this slightly hard to do though, as the bit would struggle to get through the p-tex and fiberglass, but then would just want to rip through the core once you reached the wood.

4. the pucks don't line up that well. this one really threw me for a loop. everything else was installed and the board was firmly together when i applied the templates and i was very careful in center-punching the locations to drill. i also took care in drilling the holes, although one or two may have been off by a very slight amount. i think the issue arose from the t-nuts not sitting flat. the threads aren't perpendicular to the topsheet as they should be. i could possibly fix this with the wood-boring bit, but i'd rather not take anymore material out of the board and there's a chance that i could take a bunch more out by accident and not fix the problem. it's a bit difficult to get the slider plates on and off, but it can be done and i'd imagine that it'll only get easier over time.

i'll be the first to admit that i made some dumb, rookie mistakes, but it was a good learning experience. i did try to learn as much as i could about the process before starting, but there are some things that you just don't really learn until you do them (at least i don't). as long as i get a couple tours out of it, i'll be happy. i just can't wait to get out and start splitting. once this breaks i'll salvage whatever hardware i can from it and build a new one with, hopefully, better results.

Post subject: Re: who else has messed up a diy splitboard?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:40 pm 

No biggie, I did one through three on my first board. Second board is perfect, live and learn

http://www.chair2boardsports.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:00 pm 

I'm in the process of messing up my first board right now! We cut it (old "town and country" 171) on thursday and started mounting hardware on friday and decided to wait until after christmas to get 'er done. My cut needed a lot of sanding to get it lined up to some marginal sense of flush so I know I didn't do it straight. There's a fraction of a difference on my hooks as well.

I'm so glad I got a donor board to chop up first, I think my next split might be my Ride "Morewood" and will definately take me more than a week to split. Super stoked that this is an actual opportunity for people getting in to splitboarding, the DIY is a great kit.

Should have had some liquid courage first :guinness:
-Corben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 pm 

I just finished my first split and I know what you mean about the wood paddle bit taking out too much material. I got everything fairly even and flush on the base and have taken it to a resort for a few runs to make sure my bindings didn't rip out of the board. So far i've taken more than a few rides on it and some hard heel side turns. Everything seems to be holding and it actually works fairly well.

My board cut was with a circular saw and it wasn't perfect either. However the board is tight once the bindings are on and nose/tail clips are down. Next time I will use a table saw or try to get it cut by a waterjet.

I also found a good set of clamps were something you must use and once the nose and tail clips were installed my bindings slid on easier.

I would ride your board, have fun, and like you said and when it's time to do another one you'll be better prepared and glad you had the experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:15 pm 

After cutting a brand new Forum Seeker crooked I put it away for fear of making the board worse without real supervision. Then I realized I bought the Universal Split Kit instead of the Split Decision Kit. Now I'm waiting for tax returns to buy what I need again. Ouch. Sucks seeing friends with splits blow by me on my slowshoes. All I want to do is splitboard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:24 pm 

Getting the split hooks and tip and tail clips drilled with precision is an art. I ended up building a tool to drill the tip and tail hooks so they close with a nice snap. I also built a jig to drill out the split hook pattern so my board comes together about as tight as the Karakoram clamps get when in ride mode. Hand drilling is easy to F up. One key tip to a successful drill is to make sure the board is perfectly flat and at the same time, clamped securely together to get the right amount of preload for when you slide the two halves together.

BTW...for anyone out in the reno/tahoe area who wants to take advantage of my jigs for their DIY or redrill, hit me up. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:52 pm 

rughty wrote:
Getting the split hooks and tip and tail clips drilled with precision is an art.

Haha, true, as are the touring brackets. Mine aren't quite centred on the board halves so the Mr. Chomps will be needing some modifications for spring time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:06 pm 

I destroyed a great lib tech litigator 172. tragic.