Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton 3 hole pattern split
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:04 am 

I have a Burton Canyon 162 with the 3 hole pattern that I am looking to split. What is the best approach to do this with the center inserts right down the middle of the board? I have looked through the forums and found one post that mentions a water jet.

Thanks,

James

Post subject: Re: Burton 3 hole pattern split
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:14 am 

http://www.wildschnee.de/index.php?opti ... Itemid=270

the other way

burton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 am 

I split by Burton Canyon with the 3D hole pattern last night. My advice is to find another board but if you were like me and that's the only board you have save the hasle and buy a high end carbide blade. I bought a cheap one and it went well until the last insert where it bent the blade forced the cut to go off on its own. I'm confident I can epoxy that cut and it will end well expect it won't look good. Also I pulled all the insets out so I will be filling all those with epoxy.

I anticipate alot of epoxy work and sanding but at least I will have a split thats functional and has a wide waist width.

Dam you Burton and why do you have to go against the grain and create a stupid mount pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 am 

Berts wrote:
I split by Burton Canyon with the 3D hole pattern last night. My advice is to find another board but if you were like me and that's the only board you have save the hasle and buy a high end carbide blade. I bought a cheap one and it went well until the last insert where it bent the blade forced the cut to go off on its own. I'm confident I can epoxy that cut and it will end well expect it won't look good. Also I pulled all the insets out so I will be filling all those with epoxy.

I anticipate alot of epoxy work and sanding but at least I will have a split thats functional and has a wide waist width.

Dam you Burton and why do you have to go against the grain and create a stupid mount pattern.

I did the same, then afterwards I was able to find Burton/Wildschnee's guide.
Damn you Google for not having mind reading capabilities

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 pm 

The problem you are going to find with cutting this board the way that link posts, is that you'll have so many starts and stops along the cut that you wont have a perfectly tight fit. With boards that have a metal tip and tail, you can get away with stopping before the end. But with the Burtons, you've got multiple stops, big chunks being removed, etc.

This is not going to make your fit nice:

Water jet is your best option since it will cut the board in one single pass. Nick at SickSplits does water jet cuts.

If I were you, I'd save the Burton, and find another deck to chop. You can find stuff on CL for cheap, as well as in shops during the summer. Best of luck to you!

P.S. Capita and Signal are now coming out with solid boards that have plastic down the middle in case you decide to split it! No sealing, no bs!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:49 am 

i just went really slow and steady, with a nice new blade and this Burton Canyon came out as the best split i have made yet. Going through the inserts is not easy but it can be done. maybe i got lucky, the inside edge matched up perfect and was actually better than the Skunk Ape i had water jet cut.

Burton split by travis young 424, on Flickr

Good luck!

Phantom Alpha's w TLT5s
DIY 168 Skynk Ape, RC
Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5
Spark R&D Afterburner tesla'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:24 am 

Awesome! I wish you were in WA because I'd love to see this :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:31 pm 

Travis Young wrote:
i just went really slow and steady, with a nice new blade and this Burton Canyon came out as the best split i have made yet. Going through the inserts is not easy but it can be done. maybe i got lucky, the inside edge matched up perfect and was actually better than the Skunk Ape i had water jet cut.

Burton split by travis young 424, on Flickr

Good luck!

Looks really nice. Now if someone could just come up with a good way to DIY burton bindings without the Voile rail mount.