Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Closest mountains to Belgium?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm 

My wife may have a job opportunity in Shape Belgium, and from google it looks really flat and seems like its at least 6 hours to any decent mountains. Is this right or are there any smaller ranges that are decent in there somewhere that I missed?

Post subject: Re: Closest mountains to Belgium?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 am 

Yes, that sounds about right. I live a little further north and drive 7 hours to the alps. Most people here go skiing once a year for a week or so, but there is a very large community that is a little more dedicated than that. We go for short trips when there is fresh snow every opportunity. If you drive at night, you can go on weekends too and still make it to work Monday.

You will not have trouble finding snow and riding buddies, www.wepowder.nl takes care of that.

The alps are serious mountains, and there are really a lot more resorts and terrain than you're used to.

If you or your wife work in IT or pharmaceutical, I suggest you look for a job in Switzerland. They have more work there and its fairly easy to move there. I know two people who moved there and I've lived there myself for a year, its the best country in Europe frankly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 am 

Also, where in Belgium would you live? A large part of it is quite depressing but they have nice cities and some pretty parts too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm 

Thanks for the reply, The job is at the NATO base in Mons? I used to have to drive 5 hours to ride and would still get 25+ days a year, but not looking forward to doing that again. Its not even close to happening, but could be an option, so I thought I'd ask.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:53 pm 

Mons is not a bad city at all, it's quite pretty and not as boring as some other small cities in Belgium because it has lots of universities. They also have a stupendous amount of small beer breweries in belgium, so that improves the atmosphere too. :lol:

There is a big difference between driving 6/7 hours or 2. If you live 2 hours from the mountain you can still go for a day and return home. More than that and you need to stay one or two night to make it worth the time you spend driving.
Also, gas is much more expensive here in Europe. So a roundtrip to the Alps in a fast car is about $350/450 in gas alone. So the trick is to get 2/3 people together to share the cost and all drive a few hours.

You can see where this is going right... but 25 days should not be a problem. You should have about 30 days off work (holidays) if you work fulltime, and weekends too.
I think everybody should live abroad for a while. It's so refreshing to live in another country for a while, and might be your only shot at living in Europe. I think the highspeed train stops there too, so you can go to Paris/London/Amsterdam/Barcelona for some weekendtrips. It will be the experience of a lifetime. If you don't like it you can always go back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 pm 

:lol: sounds like pretty bad to me :doobie:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 pm 

What about a train to say chamonix or somewhere in the alps? How much does that cost?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:08 am 

pintobean wrote:
:lol: sounds like pretty bad to me :doobie:

I agree, if I summarize it like that my life is terrible! :lol:

Trains are not an option to the alps, they cost about the same as driving but with cars you can at least go with 2 people or 3 for the same money. And you're more mobile and flexible.

All i'm saying is, for snowboarding it will not be ideal at all. You will have enough good memories from those 25 days though, how many of your friends have been to Chamonix? And there are really dozens of places like that in the alps within reach. It's a huge mountain range.
http://wepowder.com/playgrounds#filter:eyJtYWluUmVnaW9uIjpbIjEiXX0=
You will miss out on a lot of days, but if its only for a year or 2 that's not a big deal. You can snowboard untill you're 60.

But if you have an chance to work abroad, I would take it regardless. Because it can really change the way you look at your own country or life and its just fun. I've lived in 3 different countries, and I would not be the same person if I hadn't done that.
If you get older you may have kids, a mortgage or your own business, and it will be almost impossible to move abroad then.