Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakorams or Sparks?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 pm 

russman wrote:
HikeforTurns wrote:
^ same ratchets as well.

How much forward lean can you get out of that new Blaze Highback?

Not sure how to measure it, but a lot.

Yes, toestraps and ratchets are the same on the Blaze and Split30. EDITED : THe ratchets for the heel strap are the same on them too, but the heel strap padding is different.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:42 am 

Thanks for putting those weights down bucky. I dont have a scale. (gave up pot smoking a couple years back...) Were you using the voile dual height climbing bars or the standard ones?

One thing I have noticed about the "downhill" sensation you mentioned while skinning is it appears to be even higher with the voile dual climbing bars vs the karakoram risers. The toe ramp is one idea, ive also looked into ways to trim down the heel risers, as that would solve the issue. (though i have yet to tour with either set up). Though I dont want to trim down the voile risers cuz then they wont work with the balzes. I'll probably have to use the split30 risers with their binders or get another set from voile.

Ill post up some highback heights and forward lean pics as well. It'll be a couple days though as Im headed out of town.

edit: Also, anyone elses blazes super tight on the pucks? I'm having to do a lot of sanding to get these fackers on there. I forgot what a pain in the ass setting up the stance is with the pucks. Its better then them being too loose though.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:13 am 

Thanks to russman, buckchow and HikeforTurns on really informative posts. This is just what I was looking for with this thread!

It's a shame I'm not a millionare I'd love to get both systems (and a Ferrari). But now weight turned it for the Blazes. I will be definitely getting the Karakoram clips too, that I luckily can afford. I'm sure the Karakoram brothers can shave some weigh of the system in the future. I'm really interested to see what they come up with next season.

So my very dope setup for this season is going to be 166 Venture Storm R with Spark Blaze's. :bananas:

But snow is allmost here and I need my binders soon... :headbang:
So if you'll excuse me I'll go make my order.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:20 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Also, anyone elses blazes super tight on the pucks? I'm having to do a lot of sanding to get these fackers on there.
I did. I tried to get them on my DIY pucks (they sucked anyway), and it was almost impossible. I had to take off the back pucks and widdle it down with a knife, then sand it. I stabbed myself twice, it was great. It was a pain but got it. I did notice though on my universal pucks that are waiting for a my new Venture that they slide on smooth, and not tight, so hopefully when mounted I don't have to do the same as the DIY.

buckchow wrote:
(455g) lighter than a split30 setup
Thats a full pound. Damn. I did notice they were super light and I was extremely impressed. They are about the same weight in my hand as my Burton Missions (without sliders). All in all they are beautiful. I am a little interested in the Highback, felt it was a little flexy for my liking, but shaving weight will do that, and I think the balance between weight/strength seems good.

I am super pumped on the Blaze system, but coming from slider tracks I can only be extatic. Coming from Burton cap straps which I was always pumped on, I figured I wouldn't like spark's cap strap and would need a mod, but I must say, those things lock in your toe perfectly, and no complaints and I don't think I will be modding anything. I'm hoping to get the system out this weekend for an on snow test (snow and ambitious partner permitting in the San Juans).

On another note, Inferno in Durango tried to charge me $400 for those bad boys :shock: (backcountry Experience didnt' have them yet). I told them they were on crack and left and ordered from Mountain Gear.

HFT and Buckchow, great stuff. Can't wait to hear the opinion you guys have when you log some more days on both systems. Karas still look nice, and I'm pumped to get the clips on soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:13 am 

russman wrote:
How much forward lean can you get out of that new Blaze Highback?

From Spark R&D's website: "...splitboard specific highback, with a wider range of lean (-5* to +25*) and vertical slots for a booster strap."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:17 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
...anyone elses blazes super tight on the pucks? I'm having to do a lot of sanding to get these fackers on there...

make sure that the rubber gaskets are installed underneath the pucks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 am 

summersgone wrote:
On another note, Inferno in Durango tried to charge me $400 for those bad boys :shock: (backcountry Experience didnt' have them yet). I told them they were on crack and left and ordered from Mountain Gear.

You should let Will or Jeff @ Spark R&D know this, they may not be happy with people selling their gear for more than MSRP.

PS: Longest thread ever!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:42 am 

deejaygee wrote:
HikeforTurns wrote:
...anyone elses blazes super tight on the pucks? I'm having to do a lot of sanding to get these fackers on there...

make sure that the rubber gaskets are installed underneath the pucks

yep, they are actually really tight just trying to slide them into the binding before i put them on the board.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:21 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Thanks for putting those weights down bucky. I dont have a scale. (gave up pot smoking a couple years back...)

Actually, my scale is a postal scale, it measures in steps of .2 ounces, so it is pretty useless for weighing pot. Unless you're weighing a lot of it. I mean, it WOULD be useless. If one were to do that.

"I used to do drugs. I still do drugs, but I used to do them too." - Mitch Hedberg RIP.

HikeforTurns wrote:
Were you using the voile dual height climbing bars or the standard ones?

No, I weighed a standard Voile heel riser, about 5 years old I'd guess. I'm not sold on the dual risers, I prefer the lower fiddle factor of the standard ones.

HikeforTurns wrote:
One thing I have noticed about the "downhill" sensation you mentioned while skinning is it appears to be even higher with the voile dual climbing bars vs the karakoram risers. The toe ramp is one idea, ive also looked into ways to trim down the heel risers, as that would solve the issue. (though i have yet to tour with either set up). Though I dont want to trim down the voile risers cuz then they wont work with the balzes. I'll probably have to use the split30 risers with their binders or get another set from voile.

A Voile heel riser (in wire-down mode) is actually taller than a Split30 heel riser (in wire-down mode). Perhaps that's what you're seeing happen with your dual bars.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:20 am 

I am stoked I finally got my first splitty set up (Venture Storm 161) and Blaze :disco: .

However, my right Blaze binding ratchet mechanism has come loose. The spring under the ratchet (clasp mechanism) came off the hold. Minor problem but the clasp are chattering and is definitely not optimal on the mountain. Pity, I wanted to test ride maybe this weekend.

The rest of the mechanism of the Blaze bindings seem great.

Could it be possible that the large upper ankle strap from last season (Bent Metal) was more of a solid construction?, I specifically speak of the clamp/ratchet, its a lot of plastic in the current one. Does Spark have an alternative to the new, maybe the old Bent Metal clamp/ratchet are compatible to insert into the new Blaze ankle strap? Suggestions anyone?. I am replacing it soon with another Blaze pair from my dealer.

What are your opinions on the new ratchet system?.

I just want everything tight and more robust on the mountain.

Rex

Venture Storm-R 161, Spark R&D Blaze, Burton Driver X boots, ABS Avy 15/30L backpack, Avalung, Mammut Pulse Avy Beacon, BCA carbon probe. Solid board = Burton T6 159 ICS Ferrari Red, Burton C60 EST Bindings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:16 am 

Rex wrote:
However, my right Blaze binding ratchet mechanism has come loose. The spring under the ratchet (clasp mechanism) came off the hold. Minor problem but the clasp are chattering and is definitely not optimal on the mountain. Pity, I wanted to test ride maybe this weekend.

Mine did the same! Interesting. I got in there with a knife and put it back into place. Now its good. Give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:27 pm 

Thanks summersgone, I tried the quick fix, it works temporarily but comes loose again during manipulation of the buckles. I will continue to use the set up until I get the new replacements as promised by Spark.

Kudos to Spark R&D for the extremely fast response and action! :clap: .

Now I know what everyone is talking about their customer service.

I really can't wait to take the set up to powder.

Rex

Venture Storm-R 161, Spark R&D Blaze, Burton Driver X boots, ABS Avy 15/30L backpack, Avalung, Mammut Pulse Avy Beacon, BCA carbon probe. Solid board = Burton T6 159 ICS Ferrari Red, Burton C60 EST Bindings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:43 pm 

Just got my Karakoram clamps and clips in the mail today... Very quality product and I echo everything that has been said about the clamps a definite upgrade. The clips are way better than voile's.. They sent me these clear ones that are way stiffer and much more durable. I am sticking with my Fuse baseplates and like the durability and simplicity of my Sparks. hmmm and the touring brackets?? I will have pics posted when I finish my split mutant rome notch. Thanks for hookin it up Karakoram.... -Aaron

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next