Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Bomber Splitboard Binding
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 pm 

Thanks Powder Rider!

Let us know what you think of the additional weight compared to the Sno Pros when you get into the bc?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:31 am 

[quote="Powder_Rider"]I purchase these binders at Bomber's Shop in Silverthrone, CO, Fin was able correct the heel height of the binding, by grinding the heel stop to accommodate the lower heel hight of my F1 AT boot.[/qoute]
I had this same issue with my lasers. Fin just sent new shorter bales after I provided the height of the heels of the boot. The new wires were a perfect fit. Fin rocks :thatrocks:

So I now have probably 15-20 days in these things. So far I really appreciate the bomber secure feeling the bindings provide compared to the Voile binders. I just couldn't adjust the Voiles in a way that didn't allow for too much slop or too tight of a fit on my Lasers :scratch: Also, the quality of the manufacturing and provided hardware appears top notch :thumpsup:

Regarding the flex provided by the Sidewinder: In powder, the flex that I feel is really no more than I experienced with the Voile binder. That's o.k. though since I was totally satisfied with the flex of the Voile binding but had a hard time trusting that loose boot/binding fit. The flex provided by the Sidewinder is more noticeable in firmer conditions and steeper slopes where jump turns are used. I've spent limited time in firm conditions so far this season but I suspect that shredding corn will rock in these things.

They sure are heavy :shock: I spent one tour on a split of mine that doesn't have Dynafit toe pieces and the weight was definitely noticed. However, the binding toured well. Even while traversing.

Now if only someone would machine a new, lighter plate to mount these things on....

Oh yeah, adjusting for boot sole length literally takes only a minute or two :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 pm 

"Now if only someone would machine a new, lighter plate to mount these things on...."

Yup! If Will could produce a machined baseplate (replacement for the Voile slider plate) for us HB users I would be very happy. Perhaps the Bomber interface plate could be done away with, lowering weight, as well. All of these plate binding setups seem like they have redundant parts, as did the pre-Spark age of soft splitboard bindings.
My direct mount race plate to Voile plate bindings weigh just a single pound each with titanium bolts, but the Voile slider plate is too weak (it bends over time).
Now that soft boot riders have excellent binding choices (thanks Will/Spark RnD), perhpas it is time for someone to step and fully address the needs of HB riders with a ground up binding solution.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:26 pm 

Anyone know how these compare to previous Bomber split bindings (i.e. TD2)? If anyone has used both let me know what you think. Just wondering if the e-pads make a huge difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm 

I cannot compare the Sidewinders to the TD2s bindings. But the Sidewinders bindings have help eliminate chatter from my 09/10 Storm R splitboard. I was riding the modified SnowPros (canted),before I the Sidewinders bindings. Definitely a much better ride! I can't speak on how the Sidewinders tour because I tour with the Dynafits/Sparks Adapter. Also, I increase my stance from 20 inches to 21.5 inches has help improve the ride too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:10 pm 

Many questions :scratch:
Have any of you tried the blue bushings? Particularly for touring...
What is the weight per binder w/ Voile plate?
Slightly OT, but if any of you happen to know.. How significant is the weight difference between a Voile Mt Plate setup and the Dynafit + Spark adapters?
Thx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:27 am 

Snurfer wrote:
Many questions :scratch:
Have any of you tried the blue bushings? Particularly for touring...
What is the weight per binder w/ Voile plate?
Slightly OT, but if any of you happen to know.. How significant is the weight difference between a Voile Mt Plate setup and the Dynafit + Spark adapters?
Thx

Voile Mtn Plate bindings = 600 grams / pair
Voile Slider Puck = ?

Dynafit Vertical ST = 880 grams / pair (but that's with toe and heel piece)

However, if you're truly a weight weenie, you can easily decrease weight. Check this. There's entire Dynafit-style bindings that weigh almost 200 grams/pair, and seeing that for a splitter, it's only the up that matters, these ultra-light toepieces could save some weight.

Edit to add: There's also this which would put the Dynafit Vertical ST toe piece at 168 grams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:54 am 

Yup. The racing bindings can save a lot of weight, like the ATK, Plum, and Dynafit's own Race. Unfortunately, these bindings will really lighten one's wallet as well!
The other thing to do is to ditch the Spark adapter plates. It is great that Will makes these, as they make it easy to try the Dynafit set up. If one is ready to commit to using the Dynafits, one can direct mount the toe piece and heel lifter, saving the extra weight of the Spark adapters and extra screws. Even better would be to get a custom board made with no inserts for the Voile pattern touring bracket and heel lifter, saving the weight of all those inserts as well. I run direct mount Dynafits with no difficulties.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 am 

I was on the "regular" Bombers from last year - ie. same look, no pivot. After trading with a friend for a couple laps, I've ordered up a pair of the new ones. The lateral flex is a huge improvement from the old ones and they don't seem much heavier. They are heavier than the Voile Mtn Plates and I think lateral flex (play) in the Voile is about the same.

I would like to second the request for an integrated baseplate. Ideally it should be non-adjustable - custom ordered to the size of your boot. Narrower pucks to permit a drop in height and a reduction in weight would also be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:29 am 

Treepilot-good ideas. I think a joint project between Will at Spark and Fin at Bomber is in order. I believe to make a slider plate one has to have a license from Voile-Spark has this, and they have experience making sweet CNC sliders. I do think the (slider) plate needed to direct mount the Bomber Sidwinder upper piece could be adjustable, with perhaps two sizes, medium and large, to accomodate all possible users. By using a direct mount with the Sidewinders weight would drop, and boot to board distance would also drop. Additionally, I would like to see Fin go to 5 mm bails on the Sidewinders for two important reasons: many of the newer AT boots are Dynafit only, and do not have DIN toe and heel ledges, these narrower ledges work fine with thinner bails, but are insecure in the fat bails used by Bomber and Catek. I do not think splitters need the extra beef (weight) of bombers super thick bails, I am having great results with my RacePlate direct mounts, and they have 5 mm bails.
I would suggest that anyone interested in this set up send an e-mail of encouragement to Will at Spark, I have had some correspondance with him on this, and he is aware that there are riders like us looking for better plate binding solutions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:22 pm 

Valid points. I've previously sent off emails to both - neither were overly enthused. Chatted with Will @ Scrubfest. Sent another email off to Fin today. Even posted in the Karakoram thread too.

Getting close to the point where the local hard boot posse (4 of us eh?) are going to use a connection or two (CAD kid and a machine shop friend) and whip up our own - not for resale, but just to shred with them.