Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Why use forward lean?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why use forward lean?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:01 pm 

I've never once even attempted to use the forward lean on my bindings. I always assumed it was for a more "aggressive" ride. Even then, I'm not sure what the term aggressive means in this context.

Is forward lean supposed to help initiate turns a bit better (from toe-to-heel, or heel-to-toe)?

What's the benefit of using forward lean in powder? Or is it only useful in hardpack conditions?

Does it still make a difference when riding a camber, rocker, or hybrid rocker board?

As a side note, I'm currently riding Spark Fuses on a Prior AMF Split (hybrid rocker). With a female boot, I have a few more gaps between the boot and binding around the toe end, as well as slightly in the highback when comparing to female specific bindings. Maybe a minimal forward lean would help eliminate with some movement of the boot in the binding.

Overall I'm wondering if forward lean helps improve riding in general...

Post subject: Re: Why use forward lean?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm 

it adds support and leverage to your heelside edge. Useful when riding transitions or carving hard on hard snow, i dont think it matters for pow, unless you totally suck at bending your knees...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 am 

I'm kind of a forward lean junky.... On really soft days (like pow or slush) you don't need as much. Basically, my experience is that on hard ice or pipe/park riding more lean gives me more leverage and power into my board. For pow I ride more like I'm surfing, and so I actually use less edge as more of the board's surface area is pushing into the snow...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm 

My 2 cents. I always run forward lean, I like to use the same set up for all conditions, so the board always responds the same. Forward lean keeps one's weight centered over the board, and allows for quicker turn initiation whether on ice or in powder. Forward lean also protects the knees, by keeping them bent-it scares me seeing those riders who ride without lean, with their front knee locked straight in an effort to get some heelside edge pressure; a locked knee like this is very vulnerable to injury-it would not take much of a bump in the terrain to trash your meniscus big time.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:41 am 

Forward lean is a joke. Unless you are riding a frozen halfpipe you don't need it. Comfort is the most important setting on your board. The more comfortable you are the better and longer you will ride. Highbacks are a mid-evil torture device. please read Mike Ranquet's rant on the subject.

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/2008 ... e-ranquet/

If you can out ride Ranquet then maybe you have some credibility, if not then I think it is a personal preference issue. I have the Bent Metal Missionary's with that lame highback gone and just the metal lowback cup. I love it and I have my sparks setup the same way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:00 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Forward lean is a joke. Unless you are riding a frozen halfpipe you don't need it. Comfort is the most important setting on your board.

I disagree completely. While those sentiments may apply to some individuals in certain conditions I sure as hell want to know that my setup is gonna be uber responsive (and doubt that would be the case without a highback and some forward lean). Since I ride in mountaineering boots a highback with forward lean is absolutely essential for adequate response on technical terrain. YMMV

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:21 pm 

You need them less with stiff boots. The stiffer the boot the more power is transferred to the board. You want your heel edge to hold? Lean your shoulders back. It is a more comfortable position also not being hunched forward.

"doubt that would be the case without a highback and some forward lean"

Never tried it have you....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm 

I've tried all kinds of stuff, since 1981 (before highbacks) and I say "turn the forward lean WAY UP!"
It increase control and balance in all types of terrain and snow. Hands down.
True, in good, deep powder, you don't need highbacks, edges, straps or intuition liners.
I wish I could ride that kind of snow all day every riding day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 am 

Pedro, you're basically describing noboarding. No highbacks on steeps, crust, or chop sucks. I've tried it all and prefer forward lean and highbacks because this setup is versatile and responsive. No highbacks, just too limiting.

P.S. I'm not criticizing noboarding, just pointing out that you can only ride in ideal conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:47 am 

That is just untrue! I ride everywhere anyone else rides. I go with skiers tele'ers and boarders.
This is all in your head! 99% of snowboarding is mental/confidence. I like big steep lines, I rode Silverton with low-backs; ever been there' its fuckin steep and long. I just got back from Wolf Creek and rode a 67" storm with low-backs on my Unity split!

Please don't tell ME what I CAN and can't do...
Just because you think you cant; doesn't mean that I haven't been doing it for years.

Respectfully,

Pedro

PS: just by labeling something dumb like "noboarding" you are in essences degrading it. Just like Fox news would....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Comfort is the most important setting on your board. The more comfortable you are the better and longer you will ride. Highbacks are a mid-evil torture device. please read Mike Ranquet's rant on the subject.

http://snowboarding.transworld.net/2008 ... e-ranquet/

Good link! Last year I was in a super worked-in pair of boots that almost felt like skate shoes. I got new driver x's this year and I miss being able to roll my ankles, bend my knees, move around on the board, push into turns, and tweek grabs like I used to. They were a bit sketch on icy-steeps. I already tighten the boots as little as possible, and I think I'm going to start experimenting by dialling back the forward lean and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:48 pm 

Nice!

I am rockin' the Driver X this year, and they are pretty stiff. Good for my bad ankles though.

Try to dial it out completely (or remove parts) on your front foot. A little on the back is not bad for leverage. But take it all out of the front foot. This will allow you to get back that "natural" tweak.

The best season I ever had i wore 2 different boots! The front was a soft, soft Vans boot, and the back was a really stiff Airwalk. I may have looked like a tool, but i was absolutely killin' it all year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm 

Re: Why use forward lean?

Because it puts your body in the correct position. your heelside edge will hold better and keep your knees bent in a similiar position as your boots.

doesn't mean you can't ride and even ride really good without forward lean or even a highback.

Ranquet kills it, but so do other pros like Terje and Burt who use forward lean.

I notice a considerable difference specifically on heel side turns on steep icy terrain with forward lean. I've put my bent metal cube on 3 a couple times and it helps the body position on heelside, but is a little too much for all around riding. I do keep it on 2 for all riding then only crank it to 3 when conditions warrant.

and yeah that stiff front leg style I see all the time. :scratch:

:twocents:

Pedro - 4 of 6 of your posts are about forward lean so you must really be sold on it. So, we won't convert you it seems. But no one is trying to convert you or tell you what to do.

How do you lean your shoulders back anyway? :scratch:

sounds like a good way to get out of a centered position, lose your edge and scrape your ass.