Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakoram?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm 

clear wourd s - i hope your system show s that my mine is wrong .

Markus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:22 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoyyKmuIywA

Looks pretty slick to me...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:40 am 

I like the change over to tour mode without getting out of your bindings. That is pretty slick. Wonder why you could do the same thing going into snowboard mode. That would be pretty sweet.

As for the system. Is there a weight penalty or savings with it? Also the fuss with the middle clips. Doesn't look major but seems to be a bit more of a hassle than maybe it's worth. Have to see it closer. Having to clean snow off the parts, looks like that could be a real hassle at times. Maybe an issue, maybe not.

Overall pretty slick and I like where they are going. Send me a set to demo and I'll be happy to put my $0.02 in for them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 pm 

Killclimbz:
- Yep, you can go from tour mode back to board mode with the bindings on if you like.
- I'm not going to get into quoting weights since my setup is slightly different than final production but it's quite light, there is absolutely no weight penalty.

Burton:
I hear ya dude, mechanical doo-dads, ugh... But man, I've been trying to break 'em. I've done a few really abusive things to mine and they've held just fine. In discussions with Bryce, it seems that they have gone to great lengths to design the pin mechanism to be dead reliable. It is actually really quite simple though, not a whole lot to go wrong. Certainly no more risk than that of loosing a loose part like a pin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:50 am 

schwalbster wrote:
..........Dynafit is quite mechanical and it seems to work for the Ski folks!?.........

TRUE THAT! Most ski bindings employ far more mechanical complexity than what Bryce and Tyler have engineered, and most of my ski buddies do just fine.

I agree that negative comments aren't constructive at this point. Personal opinions don't mean anything without sufficient objective exposure to the system. In all honesty, the Split30 might actually be more simple to use than the Voile system, as there is no pin to lose in the snow! In the parking lot at the Baker Splitfest Aaron and I had a race to see which system was faster to change over, and going from ride to tour mode (without messing with skins) was indeed faster and simpler in comparison to my Fuses... Also, because the binding employs a lubricated axle rather than a pin that articulates against metal, the wear on the touring interface is probably significantly reduced.

At any rate, its super rad to see a small rider-owned binding company popping up! We're not dealing with a massive corporation like Burton...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:10 pm 

Would be cool to do that same race down at the Kali Splitfest and film it.......Bryce?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:59 pm 

I'm willing to take the plunge on it, depending on price of course.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:44 pm 

@karakoram

you also thought about a crampon solution? Especially in spring i wouldn't go touring without..

best

patrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 pm 

patrick wrote:
@karakoram

you also thought about a crampon solution? Especially in spring i wouldn't go touring without..

best

patrick

Yep. From what I hear the bindings + interface will come with crampons too, but don't quote me on that. I got to check out their prototype crampons and they seem SLICK. Sharp, with good spike length.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:15 am 

I've checked out the karakoram ski crampon and it is lighter than mr chomps, metal is thinner I however did not get a chance to use it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:24 am 

Bryce and Tyler showed up this weekend at the Kalifornia Splitboardparty. I was very excited to get a glimpse at their system. After looking at the changeover several times friday eve outside our house I was very impressed. I needed to check it out! Thanks to JimW who rode the system on saturday on his board, which is similar to what I ride, I just had to grab it and go (Thanks again Jim) So late afternoon I took the system on this gnarly hike. About 300 vertical feet !! up the beautiful slopes of Convict Lake, chasing the shadow of the setting sun up the hill. I lost. Then I had my private moment with the System, buckled in and really let loose. I got about 5 hjighspeed turns in and did this really cool 180 hop down a crazy steep (about 25 degrees) slope. Snow conditions were tricky too, this buttery soft surface, really hard to ride. The whole thing took me about 20 min. Pretty hardcore if you consider the avy danger I exposed myself too, going solo. I was back in time for dinner.I think I did a really in- depth test of the system. I think JimW did an even more hardcore test of the system if that's even possible!?:scratch:

Ok, ok obviously I'm not serious. :bananas: But seriously: I just wanted to get a quick hands (and feets) on experience. My impression: The system feels bomber in touring mode and in riding mode, the changeover is quick and easy both ways. The whole thing is really light. No loose parts and no pins that wear out. And although it looks quite mechanical, I believe it's simple enough to not cause any major pain or problems in the bc. That will prove itself over time.The bindings feel very solid and a gave me a locked in feeling, which I like (I like soft Boots and bindings that give me a locked in feeling without having to put too much pressure on the straps and lots of forward lean). From the little riding I did in those conditions I can't tell any difference in boardfeel, but I can see the potential moving us closer to solid board feel, which they state as their goal creating this system.Overall I have to say I really like it and I'm very impressed. My main concern would still be icing up of metal parts. Bryce and Tyler told us they tested the system in the harshest conditions without problems and the engaging bolts do push out and nothing clamps together like the Burton system did. Still there are metalparts that need some minor cleaning before you put it in ride mode. The crampons looked pretty slick too, I didn't get to use them, but it looks like you can put them in on the fly and then they are floating I think!? I prefer a fixed crampon, that goes in deep with the heelrisers up. But they are still working on those and it's a little early to call on those.

It seems like they really, really did their homework and I applaud the innovation. The more choices the better. I won't be in the market for a whole new system any time soon, especially since I won my first pair of Sparks just now :rock: but I love to watch the innovation happening in Splitboarding right now. Exciting times for gearheads!

On a sidenote I would like to mention that Bryce and Tyler are super nice guys, who deserve our support.Thanks for coming over to Cali, showing us your system even though it's still prototypes! It was nice meeting you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 am 

I'm a little confused :scratch: This binding works with the current Voile components or would require you buy a specific board with different components. Sounds like you guys just threw em on your current set-up?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:44 pm 

Our system does not use any of the voile components. It does fit on the standard voile inserts though. So if you have a standard split it will fit directly on with no mods necessary. We mounted the demo bindings up on JimW's Burton S-series, so he could do a side by side comparison with his existing bindings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next