Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakoram?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:53 am 

Quote:
I foresee the Karakoram set up making Voile interface and Sparks bindings obsolete.

Damn BG can you foresee who's going to win the next Kentucky Derby cause I'm looking to update my split set-up. Remember, most of us are not updating are set-ups every year or two were looking for shit to last 5-10 years. I think that's the time-frame will need to see how these new products do.

Want to shave weight don't discount splitting your own. Thanks to Voile that's an option for everyone and I've used it twice. Not only did it cost me 160$(e.g the split kit) one of them I guarantee is as light as it gets. Weight's important for me though especially cause I'm 5'11 and 140lbs, I would think some of you bigger guys would find bigger issues, I mean I couldn't break my shit no matter what I tried some of you bigger guys tend to find more issues with bindings and boards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:07 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
^^^That and hard boots suck. Just kidding, sort of.

I'm not really into hard boots. I hate how they ride on the down. Definitely huge advantages there in terms of weight, kicking steps, crampons, etc. Never a bad choice just not for me.

As the weight issue goes, I was referring to the split board interface in general. the V setup ads a lot of weight. It'd be nice to shave some ounces there. Sounds like the K system may actually weigh less so that's a good start imo. Of course if it's noticeable is the question. I also think the K system avoids a lot of the pitfalls of the Burton system, which was crappy at best.

We are seeing manufacturers lighten their boards. Neversummer's splits are using a Carbon fiber wrap that drops a ton of weight. The solid versions of these boards are definitely on the shaved weight side of the spectrum. Voile for the past few years has been making light splits. I expect this trend to continue.

This just shows that you have never ridden a good, well dialed, hard boot setup. Stock boots do not ride well, it takes careful mods and tuning to get them right, but with patience, and some expertise, hard boots can be made to ride any way you would like, and the setup will always be lighter than any soft setup.
With the advances made by Spark, and the yet to be released "K", I am not sure where much more weight can be removed from the interface (ti bolts can be used to save a little more), so any additional weight savings will need to come from the board. Kudos to NS for addressing weight with some of their boards. Voile saves weight with the cap, that construction is a non starter for me, too chattery, no edge damping, and vulnerable to rock damage that is very difficult to repair.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:19 am 

The day I go to hard boots is the day I don a speed suit, wear a helmit cam, ride a directional board, and move to the flatlands.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:23 am 

Another weight saving option is considering the Sentury board. They are the lightest boards on the market, a local Reno company and have a decent selection to choose from (one of which isn't on the website yet as they are building the mold for a newer model to be released later this year). I am going to try out the Karakorum clips and clamps which they are going to offer separately for those who aren't looking to drop a ton of cash on the whole binding setup. Barrows. I have to give you credit for having the patience to dial in that hard boot setup. Although boot packing up Shasta would have been much nicer having hard boots.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:23 am 

I'm with you aksltxlt. No matter what you say about hard boots, you just can't get the tweakability and surfy feel of a soft boot and straps. Sure you can get it closer these days. Again, I am not arguing on some of the advantages of hard boots. They are significant, no doubt. There are also super light boot options out there. The 32 Ultralight is as light as any hard boot out there. There are a few others playing in this zone. So heavy soft boots are becoming more and more a thing of the past. Of course the binder interface is a hitch. Seems to me a well designed hard boot binder is almost always going to be lighter than a strap in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 am 

rughty wrote:
Another weight saving option is considering the Sentury board. They are the lightest boards on the market, a local Reno company and have a decent selection to choose from (one of which isn't on the website yet as they are building the mold for a newer model to be released later this year). I am going to try out the Karakorum clips and clamps which they are going to offer separately for those who aren't looking to drop a ton of cash on the whole binding setup. Barrows. I have to give you credit for having the patience to dial in that hard boot setup. Although boot packing up Shasta would have been much nicer having hard boots.

I would be behind Sentury if their turn around and customer service wasn't so crappy.

Spltiboard Thread

Another Forum

I wouldn't even bother placing an order with them. I'm pretty sure you'll eventually get what you paid for, but it's going to be a huge hassle. Not so sure on the lightest claims either. There are some serious contenders coming up next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:18 am 

Killclimbz, I see much wisdom in your posts, we gotta get out and ride

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 am 

aksltxlt wrote:
Killclimbz, I see much wisdom in your posts, we gotta get out and ride

That would be rad! I cut my teeth learning to ride in Tahoe,and I've been itching to get out there and do some splitboarding.

Conversely, Berthoud Pass is hands down one of the best backcountry spots in the US. Easy access, more vertical descended than climbed, lot's of snowfall. Great terrain. Of course avy danger is sucky mid season, so you gotta take what it gives you. But isn't that the case everywhere? It'd be fun to show you around some of the local spots. Bert just being one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm 

Killz:

"I'm with you aksltxlt. No matter what you say about hard boots, you just can't get the tweakability and surfy feel of a soft boot and straps."

Well, I would just have to say that this statement is false, unless you are talking about sorrels soft with loose straps!
In any case, no worries, like I said, to each his own.
I hope that next season we can get together and drop No Name on nice pow day, its all snowboarding.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:18 am 

We should definitely hook up. I'd be interested in seeing your mods without a doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:12 pm 

Can anyone help me understand if these new Karakoram bindings will be compatible to the new Jones splitboard? I have never owned a splitboard of my own, have used them a fair amount, and looking to buy a set up ASAP that will last a few years. I have been on Jones last Rossi and its sick, so I have no question the Solution will ride as well as everyone has reported. I am looking to get the 168w, I am 6'2" 195, and love big, steep, pow. I have only used the Voile set up so any other ideal bindings option would be much appreciated.

Anyway any insight on the Karakoram bindings and compatibility to the Solution would be much appreciated. Any idea how much they will cost and when they will be available? We can be riding in under 2 months in Colorado.

Thanks,
Derek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:37 pm 

Rider11 wrote:
Anyway any insight on the Karakoram bindings and compatibility to the Solution would be much appreciated. Any idea how much they will cost and when they will be available? We can be riding in under 2 months in Colorado.
I'm a few beers into a Friday evening, so take this with a grain of salt and a shot of Patron... :guinness: :doobie: But my money is on 'Expensive and Hard to come by....' I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, as their tech appears solid and VERY progressive... Nothing but love for the Kloster Bros, just my :twocents:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:24 am 

Not sure how well they will be able to keep up with demand, but I was told their price tag would be slightly ($50 or so) more expensive than a Voile interface system plus a pair of Voile or Sparks bindings. Very reasonable if you looking to buy a whole interface/binding setup. They are also offering to sell their version of the split hooks (more like clamps) and tip clips (made from a stronger plastic to resist wear) separately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next