Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Karakoram?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am 

Mine came on Monday, with the climbing wires.

Pretty nice bindings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:10 pm 

Can you use the Split30 Interface with any binders.

This system looks far superior and solid to the Voile puck system for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm 

No, you need to have the Karakoram Bindings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:44 am 

I take it you can't lock the heels down in ski mode and there are no plans to allow for this in the future?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:35 am 

Nope, it's free heel in tour mode.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:00 pm 

PowderNewb wrote:
I take it you can't lock the heels down in ski mode and there are no plans to allow for this in the future?

Would be great for long traverses. And for ski outs. I am assuming one could possibly modify a binder to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:19 pm 

That would def make me a buyer. :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:56 pm 

yes please!!!! and i dont care about the extra weight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm 

For what it is worth they seem to ski better than my old binding setup. Could be that the toe clip is further forward giving you more leverage when you weight your heel? I haven't ever felt like I was falling forward with these. I can snowplow too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:24 am 

Woke up to find that USPS had delivered my bindings early this AM! Merry Christmas!

I pulled out my old Bruton Custom with Burton split hardware to compare the two in an attempt to show my wife why I was so excited/justify the expense. She was impressed (whew!)

Damn, these things are Awesome! I cannot wait to check them out!

Pray for it y'all! (snow)

Best!
Jeff

Jones Solution 168-Karakoram Split 30- Burton Driver X-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:31 pm 

zerodog wrote:
For what it is worth they seem to ski better than my old binding setup. Could be that the toe clip is further forward giving you more leverage when you weight your heel? I haven't ever felt like I was falling forward with these. I can snowplow too.

Finally, someone else says this!

What system(s) are you comparing the K's to?

I found it to ski much better than my Fuse binders. I think its a combination of factors:

1. Wider base of support in tour interface
2. Zero play/wiggle
3. Heel cup comes all the way around the foot, and increases lateral as well as torsional support
4. Heel cup design also nearly eliminates foot roll inside the bindings and straps.
5. Binding fits slightly narrower next to the lateral aspects of my boots (compared to Voile/Spark)

For me the touring interface is a massive factor for overall system performance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:59 pm 

do people really think the locking mechanisms (the original cord, or the new plastic latch thing) are necessary for securing the ride mode lever?

my "bike post" lever is very firm when closing, and there is absolutely no pressure anyway to force it open, and lots of resistance to keep it closed. personally i have stopped using any of the locking mechanisms a while ago because it is one more hassle, when splitboarding already has way too many little contraptions to move on every transition. mine has never opened, even slightly. i can imagine it opening only if some little branch perfectly got inside.

anyways, has anyone else ever seen this open on its own? i realize why they have a latch for liability reasons, but i really prefer not to use it, unless people have experiences with it actually loosening.

overall, i have been pretty happy with the karakoram system, although mounting everything was far more difficult than i ever expected, and i had to do a lot of small little mods to make everything fit. in my opinion, the weakness of the system is that it relies on very precise mechanical tolerances (fractions of a millimeter off, and things don't fit, or aren't tight) and i don't think the snowboard world is used to doing quality control at such tolerances. probably slight differences in the insert holes throw things, off, but i have also seen some differences that are inherent to the bindings. that said, now that i finally got it all working for the most part (still need better risers that keep their shape), the ride is great and very very stiff.

one optional customization i did was fix the toe caps so they would actually angle low enough to work as real toe caps. normally the plastic strap hits the holding bracket and the angle is limited to being too high on the toe. i shaved off plastic from the strap, and got the angle about 20 degrees lower and now it's much better. i also broke one of the toe straps (before the mod!), but was able to find a burton strap in a shop which works perfectly, and is much higher quality. the stock plastic strap ladders and extensions (same as sparks uses) seem very brittle, and not as pliable as higher quality straps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:53 pm 

...Just A quick note on touring with Karakroam

I was able to take off skins and ski skate wit a few at skier. For the first time I really felt like I wasn't gonna fall forward, very easy to control, snowplow, and make some turns. Never felt this with voile or sparks. I have the new LT-pins for my fuses. They get there test tomorrow!! so I will let you know who that goes!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next