Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flow Bindings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:33 pm 

Has anyone tried using FLOW bindings on a splitboard? Can it be done? How was it?

Post subject: Re: Flow Bindings
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:29 am 

fourty12 wrote:
Has anyone tried using FLOW bindings on a splitboard? Can it be done? How was it?

i ride flow bindings on my splitboard. Love them

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:37 am 

What flow binding do you ride?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:25 am 

I hear they are HEAVY. Never tried them myself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 am 

NXT FRX on my work board. They ROCK, especially when trying to deal with getting a toboggan going on steeper terrain; it's nice not to F around with straps. Older Flows on my split. The newer bindings are a lot more comfortable. I have had a failure of the cable on my FRX's which makes me think about moving to something else for backcountry use, where broken equipment is a much bigger bummer.

HTH,
Shep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:31 am 

Most splitters will deem them too wide and too heavy.

Also, on steep terrain most splitters will prefer to strap in with their back to the slope and the heelside edge perpendicular to the slope. The flow highbacks have to be folded back which is going the make getting into them more difficult (and unsafe).

Figuring out which bindings to get is the easiest decision you'll have.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 am 

What method for strapping in on steeps is easier is definitely a matter of opinion. I really prefer facing up hill and kicking my toes in. I've been riding flows since I bought my first setup, so familiarity -> preference. The width of the older bindings did make it a little annoying with the slider pins. haven't tried the NXT's yet, but they are pretty light. I'll probably throw the NXT's on the slider plates once I get a new setup for work this winter.

Thanks,
Shep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:26 pm 

Posted this before but hope it helps. I love my flows for the lifts. They are really fast to get into. The ease of entry is well worth it when skiing inbounds. However, every one of my flows (3 sets, 6 different break points) have broken. The cable on the nxt is the worst. There is no on-mountain fix. Plus you don't need to get in and out of your bindings as much when you splitboard. You get 2 runs in instead of 10 to 20. I would go for something that you can fix easier for backcountry. One post hole hike out isn't worth a few easy entries. (I've ordered the new Spark R&D Fuse, hopefully they will ship soon.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:09 pm 

I rode the NXT frx on my split for a couple of seasons. They have more parts that can fail so you need to have those parts handy eg, ladders and if the cable breaks a cam strap or similar can get you by.
They are heavy for sure but i've patrolled in them on my regular board so long now i feel at home in them. I use the driver x with them and it's the only high end stiff boot that will not have the heel ripped out by the flows.
It's nice to flick the heel lever down for flat approches then cranked it forward to ride or for traversing etc.

I've gone to the clicker HB now so that i can release if needed but still have to iron kinks out of that after losing one half in ski mode while filling in a pit. Ended up bootpacking to get it down a slope i had decided not to ride just before dark and solo...mmmm kinks indeed!
The clicker boots are soft and wicked for pow but for ski mode which i seem to be skiing a lot on in canada i don't have the control i had with the flow and driver x combo.

hope this helps, also flow are wicked with warranty and will hook you up with those parts if you want them,.
cheers G

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:26 am 

yeah i also have an older super simple set of flows on my split, i dig em. Thats what boardings all about to me, enjoying it! ITs funny seeing people who obviously just got a pair as a gift or are borrowing them or whatever and sit down to try to put them on, lol. Btw I gotta an older pair of nxts (pretty sure) for sale, I'll send pix on request. they're on craigslist local right now I'll probably get to posting them on the swap here soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 pm 

I've been snowboarding for 20 years and riding flows for 6. Best bindings I've ever had. Haven't tried sparks or light rail's yet mind..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:32 pm 

I just sold my Flow NXT-AT's. Too heavy, not responsive, heel lift. I picked up some Burton CO2's but I'm scraping funds to try to get some Sparks. Flows DO work for splitboarding, but not well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm 

I, too, find Flows unresponsive whether its on a split or regular board. I like my straps tight and Flows don't quite get there. Matter of preference though.