Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dynafit Bindings mount the complete binding (toe and heel)??
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:49 pm 

Got them back a little while ago. One less thing to do. thanks for the ideas.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:41 am 

Had a great hut trip at the end of the season and had a chance to take a couple of runs with the heels locked down!! Has been many years since the feet where separated while going downhill and it showed but was extremely fun at the same time. Some of the guys in the group had a good laugh on my behalf too. Image Image
Overall the experience of the complete Dyna-mod was a good one. The touring is of course responsive and comfortable for extended day trips. The biggest thing I noticed is the tendency of snow build up under the toe piece. A couple of changes to the routine was all it took to eliminate the issue. The trip required hauling in the full load on back for about 3 miles over mixed terrain. the steepest and longest grade was at the beginning. I really appreciated the ability to rip the skins off, lock down the heels and ski down the last grade on the way out to the sleds.
Not be bothered by having to switch the board over to wiggle down the last mile or so.... not to mention the rest of the group not having to wait was a bonus. I ended up taking a couple of runs, and by the end I actually felt like I was in control of the board(s) rather the other way. The weight of the overall system is a concern and most of that weight is coming from the catek's. I'm running to wide of a stance to direct mount the toe heel to the slider plates, and with a large shell size it would not fit anyway. I will have to look into getting a custom shim plate that can offer the cant angles and be long enough to interface with boots and slider plates all the while striving to get something lighter than it is now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:34 pm 

I was thinking of doing the same thing but instead of using a slider plate for the plate bindings, just mounting them directly to their repective halves of the board. Use the Karakorum tool clips for the positive lock and run a pin along side the front and rear plate binding to lock them together. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:05 pm 

peacefrog wrote:
I was thinking of doing the same thing but instead of using a slider plate for the plate bindings, just mounting them directly to their repective halves of the board. Use the Karakorum tool clips for the positive lock and run a pin along side the front and rear plate binding to lock them together. What do you think?

WOW, very interesting idea of direct mounting the plate bindings on the board. Gave it some thinking, and seems it would take a a bit to figure out how to maintain the structural integrity provided by the current slider plate and puck design. Love the idea of not having to acces the pack for the binders for either up or down travel. I commonly ride with pinners and skiers and this sort of time savings would be nice to have.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:44 pm 

The dynafit toe piece alone is amazing. you have so much control over the skiing aspect, of course the skins help slow things down, but i am actually outskiing my skier friends on the down when their heels aren't locked. Without all the slop of soft boots and even the play from the sliderplate/mountain plate combo....Amazing. The edge control and connection on the up is the s**** too!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 pm 

congrats on getting the dynafit going (does make a huge difference). did you go with the sparks plate or mount direct to the board?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 pm 

bridgersurfer- Have you mod'ed you boots at all? Would strongly recommend the forward lean mod if you boots will allow. Just got a chance to try mine out for the first time up at Bridger this past Monday and what a MASSIVE difference that makes.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9644

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 pm 

Hyzer
havent done any boot mods. pretty happy with current situation. rode G Rides for the last five years so these F3s are pretty damn comfy AND light havent even cooked em yet. direct mounted my dynafits with inserts i picked up. the pucks are also inserted. running karokorems clips instead of the sloppy yangs. getting ready to run and inside edge. on a NS T5 while I m waiting on Jonesy. Best set up ive ridden so far and about to get better. Dual climbing wires are a must!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:13 pm 

Does the mounting of the ski binding make it somewhat awkward being centered? As I'm sure you know most alpine ski's have the bindings mounted closer to the rear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:59 pm 

PowderNewb

For general touring with a splitboard, the Dynafit toe piece with a Sparks Dynafit adapter plate works exceptionally well (better than soft boots) for touring, traversing and skiing down (intermediate slopes). I don't think adding the Dynafit heel piece, is much of a concern for general touring and skiing smaller slopes. (hills that you would not transition to ride via snowboard). In fact, adding the heel piece can affect your snowboard stance width substantially.

Venture Storm R 163 (2010) with Dynafit Bindings, F1 Scarpa Boots, Snowpro Race Plate Bindings * Nitro Retro Swallowtail 171 (DIY Splitboard), Burton Fish 156 * Vans BOA "Klutch" Step-in Snowboard Boot and Switch X Bindings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:45 pm 

NewB-
One thing I have noticed with the positon of the Dynafit placement is the tail of the ski drops quickly due to the forward placement which is nice for breaking trail or kick turns on steeps. Side-stepping either up or down hill has been problematic, having the heel to lock down has been very nice for these occasions. The extra height in the riser is a plus too. This set up was board first and option for ski's second. with that in mind it was more about getting the bindings on the board and less about fussing on the placement to be accurate for being a pair of skis. As Pow-D-Rider mentioned it will effect the stance, I'm 6'5" so the width between feet is not a problem. Just changed my angles and currently at 13Deg front 3Deg back and 22.25" wide. Really like the new angles. Just wish my Prior was as wide as my old Super Charger 73, But I do not ride my split inbounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:24 pm 

I have been recently playing with a similar idea. A mad combination of all the crazy technology out there. My idea was to use an interface from a clicker binding with the cleat in the back and bottom of the binding instead of the boot. The cleat interface and release would be small and minimal and mount on the heel-side of the board. Two Burton EST channels on each side of the board (four total) would be fantastic. They make even more sense on a splitboard. A simple fixed attachment on the toe side with a pin on the toe of the binding. Then a dynafit interface on the front and rear of the binding not the boot. That way one could use soft boots. The bindings would give you all the rigidity you would need for basic skiing. I hate hardboots--it's one of the main advantages of snowboarding in my view--and if one is going to use them, you just as well ski. Then again, I know how to ski. Hmmmmmm. Those Rossignol S3s and Dalbello VIRUS lite boots with dynafits looks like a pretty cool setup. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:20 pm 

Like the idea of the tech mash-up. The quad channel idea makes much sense and could offer the most minimal interface for board mode. I imagine that continued small-time MOD innovation will lead to better choices for all of us. Would love to see some of the bigger Co's take a gamble in this small niche market, I Imagine that those nordic engineers would/might love to sink their teeth into this than another ski-break design.