Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: setting the angle on your bindings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm 

Just got my splitboard and totally pumped to use it on some spring corn (saw someone post about Rainier - oh yeah!).

I am setting up the board (171 MtGun) with Mountain plate bindings and AT boots (Lowa Struktura - older model).

My inbounds board (with softboots) has the bindings set at 5 and 20 degrees. When I got into the AT boots on the board with that angle set up - it felt a tad uncomfortable (I am attributing some of this with never boarding in hard boots). I feel like I want dial the bindings front and back to bigger angles.

I will just bring a screwdriver with me to the resort and play around with the angles this weekend but I thought I might ask for a consensus on people's angles for hard boots...I am guessing from most of the hardbooters I have seen out there, the bigger angle is a better choice - I seem to feel that way even without taking it out on the snow.

Although, mountaineering will get involved here as I get comfy with the board and I think I don't want too big of an angle for those times were I might be in a tighter spot....dunno, maybe someone has experience on using the board with aggresive angles in narrow colours....

It'll be fun anyway....hope to see you out there soon...still lots of season to go....crossing my fingers for St. Helens to re-open....super satisfying BC run in years past....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:19 pm 

You may want to try turning up the rear foot angle to 10 degrees or less differentail, compared to the front foot. Such as 25f/20r, and then do some carpet surfing to see how it feels. I am at about 40f/33r on mine. Everyone is built differently, and what works for me may not work for you. Can you describe what it is that feels wierd, and maybe we can help from there. Things like where the cuffs pressure your legs, or hot spots, etc. And where do you ride inbounds, I am at Stevens Pass this Sunday and could meet up w/you if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:39 pm 

thanks John....that was what I was looking for - a good baseline to start with and then tinker from there...

thanks for the offer to meet up - I will be just running up to Snoqualmie for a couple of hours when I catch a break between household work. See you in the hills soon.

I think the uncomfortableness iscoming from wanting to exact a little more lateral movement in the boots like I do in my very broken in soft boots...read somewhere else here that you can compensate by putting the bindings closer....also seems like a good idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:20 pm 

Try 19-19.5 inches on the stance width and play around from there, if you are a bunch wider than that and you are short it may help a bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:25 pm 

thought i would ask this question in this thread. i ride duck footed 18 front -12 rear and ride soft boots but am thinking about trying hard boots on the split. from what ive read so far it looks like a lot of hard booters ride with both feet at foward angles. can i ride hard boots duck footed or are they too stiff, does it make them uncomfortable? thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:01 am 

I personally think you do not need to ride duck feet in the backcountry.
How often do you really ride switch?
OK.....maybe in some rare occasions on a traverse or when you throw the huge 540's from a cliff :wink: .

But in general I ride mostly forwards.
I ride softboots with 12f and 6r...so you actually still can ride switch in case it's required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:12 am 

ive always rode duck. just find it more comfy it think becuase i walk naturally duck footed maybe. ill just have to try things out if i get set up with hard boots.