Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark Sabretooth crampon problems
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:02 pm 

I hijacked another thread about Tesla system pin problems with some Sabretooth problem discussion that is probably better off in this thread of its own.

Here's the summary;

andbrown
Post subject: Re: Malfunction/Pins falling out of Tesla-bindings
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 pm

I'll be contacting the Spark guys for the second warranty problem this year. They came through with some replacement Sabretooth crampons after the pin broken after < 1 hr of use. Anyone else have any Sabretooth crampon problems. My pin broke really easily, and it doesn't look as if the replacement crampons have better/stronger pins. I'm hesitant about the quality and durability of these crampons (pins).

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Just to be clear, the pin is the steel pivot rod that slides into the touring bracket, or the pin is a rivet that holds the steel pivot rod to the crampon body? Either way, I have thought these parts look a little skinny given the forces at work on them.

andbrown

the rod that slides into the bracket (not the rivet)

burton
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:23 pm

The pin from the sabertooth is not the Problem.... the real Problem is the youser.
the crampon is not in the right Position....

look at his : http://www.erstespur.de/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=45

bURTON

andbrown
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Care to provide a summary translation in English of that thread? Or maybe elaborate on why you say it's the users problem.

Post subject: Re: Spark Sabretooth crampon problems
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:04 am 

In the copy of the tread - the link works not, this is the right. Look the pictures at side 4.

http://www.erstespur.de/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=45

the picturs speak clear......

burton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:32 pm 

Well, we busted a Sabretooth crampon today too. Same sort of failure.

The crampon was absolutely installed correctly. No question about that. We were doing a long loop on rolling terrain and my wife put her crampons on at the last transition before the lumpy tour out. We were going up and down over small rollers, in and out of gullies, while side-hilling a drainage. At the bottom of a short down slope she said her crampon had popped off, and we inspected it. The left-hand end of the mounting pin (skier's view) had sheared at the rivet joint with the body of the crampon. It had obviously come into contact with the receiver on the touring bracket somehow, and when she stepped down on it, it got folded and the aluminum cracked. As best I can tell what happened was that at the bottom of a short decline she did sort of a tele stance, and with the trailing foot's heel elevated the binding was able to stand up enough that it came into the install/remove position, and slid laterally (as if it were being pulled out for removal) far enough that it overlapped the receiver brackets. When she subsequently stepped down, it busted.

Top view:

Underside: you can see where the receiver on the touring bracket pressed into the aluminum just behind the pivot pin

Hard to say if this is a design issue or pilot error. If you never pivot your binding forward far enough to allow the crampon to get into the install/remove position while touring, then you will probably be okay. However, if you should fall down with the crampon installed, you may well stand back up and snap the crampon if you are unlucky enough that it was working itself out of the receiver during the fall. Or if you are climbing and descending while skiing over short rollers as we were today and you find yourself in a tele stance for stability, then standing up could be the end of your crampon. It would be reasonably easy to avoid these scenarios if you had the potential issue in mind. I just sort of wish the interface were more robust and not subject to such an easy 'oopsie' scenario.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:24 pm 

The same issue is present with Mr chomps, but you don't snap things the crampon just pops out.
I have a fix which include heal lock down, but have to keep it under wraps!.
Theses issue can be fixed easily but require more input in the design stage, not for me to tell Manufactures how to make stuff work.

If you are handy with tools, have a few beer to think about the fix you will have it sorted very quickly.

Not one piece of my Splitboard setup is 100% as shipped from the factory.
Most are 90% done, just need that last 10% of the designs to be fine tuned.

Good luck guys

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm 

@ philip ak

look at you pictures, they say all .

M.M : first the bending is on one side, brocken on one side. you took tham in the right positon, but in some situation the crampaoms come - walk out to the right side, the left side brackes at first. :wink:

the problem istthe mounting angel - slide in position. it must be 80-90°, on the climb up mode - the jumping in the position to walk out.

bURTON