Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynafit toe piece mounting..... Drill, baby drill?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:26 am 

So I made the switch to TLT5s (which are so comfy and flexy and beautiful, btw) and now I need to figure out the toe piece thing. By some miracle, do the mounting holes in the Dynafit baseplate match the Voile toe pivot baseplate holes? I don't have the toe pieces yet, but am curious...

Where can I purchase just the toe pieces?

Also, can I just make a basic set of slider plates with bails to slide over my existing Voile pucks for ride mode? For now, that seems like a cheap and simple way to go.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Dynafit toe piece mounting..... Drill, baby drill?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:57 am 

check out Rangers toe pieces they fit the three hole patern..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:38 pm 

Is there any feedback from hardbooters on the Ranger toe pieces? I'd like to pick up a set, maybe two if they are as good as they look.

As for regular Dynafit toes, I think Keffler sells the low tech light toes and Spark sells the radical toes but I'm sure both are out of stock for the season. You might contact Salewa directly since they are the Dynafit distributor for the US. I've got mine mounted on Spark adapter plates but mounting them directly to the board with QuiverKillers would be a nice way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:41 pm 

Thanks you guys. I checked out those Ranger toe pieces and they are perfect. I sent a note through the Ranger website. Is there a dealer or someone who sells these directly? Couldn't really tell from the website.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:14 pm 

So far the Ranger toe pieces are unknown in terms of performance and durability... The way the control lever sticks out to the side is a little worrisome to me, but time will tell if this is a problem or not.
On the other hand, Dynafit toe pieces have been used by many years for split boarders, and work perfectly.
Dynafit toe pieces can be mounted by using adapters from either Spark R & D or Phantom Splitboard Bindings (see Facebook Page), or one can direct mount. I have been mounting my Dynafit toe pieces using Quiver Killer inserts and titanium bolts to save weight, and have had no issues (for years), but you must do a quality job, and if you are not familiar with doing precision work you might want to have an experienced ski tech do the mount. By direct mounting you save weight.
In the fall, Phantom Splitboard Bindings will have Dynafit Speed Ultralight toe pieces for sale again, but they will be limited quantities, so get your order in early.
Phantom Splitboard Bindings are by far the best choice for bindings, and they are also the best splitboard interface available.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:34 am 

Barrows (and all);
Thanks. Being able to get info like this is so great. I have mounted bindings on skis for years, but am not familiar with the "quiver killer" inserts. I'll check them out. It would be better obviously to mount the toe pieces directly, without an adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 am 

JT, yeah if you are used to mounting skis and using ski screws you should have no trouble using Quiver Killers. The only thing to note is that some boards are a tad too thin, for these one can grind/file a little off the Quiver Killer. They work best in a board with a quality wood core and layup (as snowboards will not have a reinforced binding retention area like skis have), so far I have mounted Dynafit toes on 4 boards using the QKs and have had no difficulties. I have also mounted them without the QKs, just ski screws direct, and that held up fine as well, but I suspect the larger diameter of the QKs give a little more holding power.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 pm 

Here is some of the new stuff we have been building. Forged carbon adapter plate stronger than 6061-al and lighter.The toe piece pictured is an original prototype. Nothing has changed from this to production. Can be mounted without the adapter plate with quiver killers and one screw.

Toe piece's haven't released from skinning around rocks yet. The way the lock works is downwards force releases the boot so some pretty creative skinning is required to get them to release :-) . Kicking an over hanging rock in an upwards direction might do it, im still searching for this kind of skin track to test it on. The locking leaver doesn't over hang the board. I have split-skied these a lot to test with no release problems soft and hard boots. Skiing has arguably higher forces. We didn't really set out to make a new tech binding, just a by-product of the 3 years of splitboard binding development.

Still very much one man in a garage with a beer money sized R and D budget. So if you want to fund new innovation jump on board i need you!

It was fun getting to Baker Splitfest to meet some of you. Hopefully i can make it to more next year.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:27 am 

Looks light and simple(less to go wrong). Are these for sale yet? I'm willing to take a chance for the sake of innovation and to support your shear tenacity. These paired with Phantoms or Spark Dynos is the way i'm leaning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:50 am 

Chris,

Thanks for chiming in. I did not mean to disparage your product, sorry. I was not concerned about your toe piece releasing, I was more concerned about the side lever being damaged by a rock when split skiing or skinning through rocky areas-I understand it does not overhang the board, but it does stick out to the side. In deep snowpack regions this is likely a total non-issue, here in Colorado, we do a fair amount of skinng in rocky areas: even my Dynfit toe pieces show signs of occasional rock strick on the outside edges of the arms.
Cool new carbon mounting plate BTW! Would you publish the weight of the toe piece with carbon mounting plate and the three M6 bolts for comparison purposes, also, the cost of that setup and shipping to the US?
Do you have a fair amount of hard boot riders using your toe piece, and if so, have their been no issues with use in the field?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:48 pm 

Rock skinning in the Arrowsmith's NZ.

For what its worth Chris was on this trip testing his bindings and tech touring pieces with no issues skinning through rocky areas from what I witnessed.

Sorry to drift the thread...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 pm 

From the sound of it, the toe piece has been tested pretty well. I'm willing to try a pair. How do I get some???

Thanks all, it's great to have such a wealth of experience from which to draw.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:49 am 

JTMaine wrote:
From the sound of it, the toe piece has been tested pretty well. I'm willing to try a pair. How do I get some???

Thanks all, it's great to have such a wealth of experience from which to draw.

Really? How many 100 day seasons being used by a hard boot rider have these toe pieces seen? I think it is cool that Chris has developed these, but until they have really been put through the wringer I would recommend sticking with Dynafit. Failure of tour mode in the field can be more than just an inconvenience. I would consider these in beta mode right now, perhaps it would be a good idea to carry a spare on any long tours just to be safe until they are fully proven by a few long seasons of hard usage.
One of the nice things about a tech toe and plate binding set up is the redundancy: even if one has a ride mode failure in the field, one still has an operational tour mode to be able to exit the backcountry. Hearing all the reports of pin failure on Spark Teslas has been a little disturbing to me, although I am sure Spark will have this sorted out for the next season.