Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sparks issues! How common?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:34 am 

Hello from the southern hemisphere!

I've been watching the sparks reviews and keeping an eye on the problems they are having with the new tesla pins coming out. I am keen to get a pair but want to know a few things before committing. So far all the issues with the pins coming out have been about the Burners but I'm curious if it's the same with the Magnetos. I know they are the same system but given the burners are the lightweight version could this be the issue?

Also can all you folks out there with these bindings (both Magnetos and Afterburners) post your binding type and whether or not you've had any hassles so we can get some idea of the size of the problem? I'm sure it would help sparks out too.

Cheers Scott.

Post subject: Re: Sparks issues! How common?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 am 

Burner/afterburners are the heavy duty ones scottie.
Blaze and magneto are the swiss cheese version.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 am 

I don't imagine you will get a good sample size to determine what the defect rating would be going this route. Most people won't take the time to say their bindings don't fail because they are out riding them :wink: rather the people who are experiencing problems are so set off because they lost riding days or had a bad experience don't have much better to do than rant (not that I blame them because they certainly have the right). Spark is quite a big business for a splitboard binding company and they end up doing right in the end for their customers. That's really what you pay for anyways!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:35 pm 

BobGnarly wrote:
Burner/afterburners are the heavy duty ones scottie.
Blaze and magneto are the swiss cheese version.

Right you are. The question still stands though, so far the issue always mention burners not magnetos. Has anybody had a dud set of mags?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 pm 

rughty wrote:
I don't imagine you will get a good sample size to determine what the defect rating would be going this route. Most people won't take the time to say their bindings don't fail because they are out riding them :wink: rather the people who are experiencing problems are so set off because they lost riding days or had a bad experience don't have much better to do than rant (not that I blame them because they certainly have the right). Spark is quite a big business for a splitboard binding company and they end up doing right in the end for their customers. That's really what you pay for anyways!

Probably a fair point although I was hoping that given the northern season is coming to an end soon that there would be folks willing to chuck in their 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:01 am 

Spark will know how many they've had to fix. My guess is, not that many if you consider how many bindings they sell. The issue is with the pin, Magneto's have exactly the same issue as the Afterburner. You haven't heard about it because most people ride Afterburners.

I have both, and no problems. It seems somehow here in Europe this problem doesn't exist, or I've not hear of it at least. My advice: buy directly from Spark. They may know what batch was faulty and will probably sell you good ones now (if you ask).