Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Phantom Alpha Initial Impressions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36 am 

def loving the Phantoms, all good all the time
but what i was gonna say is that John was good enough to set me up with his heel wire set, which i believe he'll be selling next year... i haven't seen him post a photo yet so i won't snake him with that but i was just gonna mention that praise Jah i finally have heel wires that work!
i do admit that with my boot size the spark adaptors kind of messed up the wire placements for me, and yah call me a pussy or lazy for not feeling to drill holes in my sweet snowboards to direct mount, but honestly i've spent a large part of the last 10 years wondering whether voile and g3 heel risers were made by telemarkers, or made for telemarkers??
the Phantom lifts, made by a hard boot split board tourist rocket scientist for hard boot split board tourists, have 2 wires, and both of them actually work... you put em up, easy, and they stay up!!! all the time!!
who knew?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:30 am 

karkis wrote:
def loving the Phantoms, all good all the time
but what i was gonna say is that John was good enough to set me up with his heel wire set, which i believe he'll be selling next year... i haven't seen him post a photo yet so i won't snake him with that but i was just gonna mention that praise Jah i finally have heel wires that work!
i do admit that with my boot size the spark adaptors kind of messed up the wire placements for me, and yah call me a pussy or lazy for not feeling to drill holes in my sweet snowboards to direct mount, but honestly i've spent a large part of the last 10 years wondering whether voile and g3 heel risers were made by telemarkers, or made for telemarkers??
the Phantom lifts, made by a hard boot split board tourist rocket scientist for hard boot split board tourists, have 2 wires, and both of them actually work... you put em up, easy, and they stay up!!! all the time!!
who knew?!

I concur with this statement. I've been using a set of John's proto heel risers. They're the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 am 

Ive also been using them, super easy to engage. The only two critiques I shared with John are to make them a little less beefy, and to make the high heel a little higher. The boot lock down with voile strap works fairly well, but I dont typically feel the need for them unless its a flat and long exit or side stepping up some terrain feature. Maybe a handful of times a season I would use them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
make the high heel a little higher

:lol:
the last time i used my high wire my touring partner got mad at me and his skier friends from the Tetons cut in their own up track.... wtf i thought Wyomites were into the steep ups? my mistake, it must be the Coloradicals...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:37 am 

I thought it was just a San Juan thing. High risers should be banned. My short legs can't do that crap! :wink:

I might be able to try the risers out this year too. At least at splitfest. Should be fun to see what John did. He's damn smart and I'm loving what he's doing. I also have his Verts mod, but I have yet to actually use the verts this year. But the system seems solid in general.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 pm 

summersgone wrote:
I also have his Verts mod, but I have yet to actually use the verts this year. But the system seems solid in general.

Crap! Dynaverts! :thumpsup: Gonna need some of them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 pm 

So, these are just prototypes, but figured I'd spill a bit of beans a bit. They work very similar to the spark setup, you use your bindings and bails, and all set. The interface fits pretty well. I did a bit of tweaking on my setup from how John sent it to center the foot a bit more.

I haven't used them yet, so no official word on how they perform. But its pretty cool to see what John has done. Just need some stability now!

Would need to ask John for more info... :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:42 pm 

One critique after most of a season and maybe 15ish days, possibly a few more or less. The tabs to lock ride mode have loosened on two of four tabs. One just needed a reset, the other needs almost daily upkeep. Thanks to the kit that comes with them I'm able to quickly make needed adjustments (even in whiteout it's easy to do).

Maybe some of that stuff on binding screws or sumsing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:06 pm 

Provo: Once you start adjusting the pins a lot, it wears out the plastic insert which locks them in place. I prefer to load up the threads on the pins with lots of VC-3 thread locker to keep them from changing their setting. The VC-3 is good for awhile, when it stops working, pull the pins and load them up again.
Keffler is setting his and then applying green Loctite. Green Loctite is a wicking formula, so you can apply it to threads and then it will wick its way into them: hence you can adjust to your pins, when they are perfect just apply some green Loctite to the edge of the hex nut and three interface with a toothpick, and it will wick its way into the interface. Be sure to allow plenty of time for the green Loctite to cure before touching anything again (read directions for exact cure time).
Unfortunately the plastic insert solution is really only good for one or two adjustments before it wears out too much.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:22 pm 

Brief update. Maybe I'll do a late season review, not sure. I think I have around 35-40 days on these, and I'm still uber stoked on these bindings. I don't see myself ever going back. I still prefer soft boots on the resort, just for the shock absorption, but in the backcountry, its perfect.

The only thing that I've noticed as an "issue" is the following:

1) When its icy you flip the pins to release, sometimes the spring doesn't release them, and it takes a little bit of play to get them off. Takes transition times off about oh, 5 seconds.
2) Never forget your scraper. You need to make sure you clean the board off. Its really not much of an issue, but something to know. When its icier, they just take a bit more attention on the contact spots. If you don't clean the contact points off, your bindings won't fit.
3) I get scared every time I go to change over that I forgot my plates at home. I haven't done it, and it not an issue, but its something :lol:

My piece of advice is keep the voile hooks, and don't use k-clips. I find the voile's are tighter and work better with phantoms, I personally like the voile hooks better.

I also had my first day on the verts yesterday, and they crushed it. The bail is excellent, and keeps your foot in place. I tried both with the boot locked down, and open. I prefer open when the snow is really deep, and locked down when it gets firmer. I really kicked hard on them too, and there were no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 pm 

barrows wrote:
Provo: Once you start adjusting the pins a lot, it wears out the plastic insert which locks them in place...

Awesome, thanks Barrows! That should be easy enough. Yeah it's been a great year touring. No stress about equipment and the ride feel is baaack.. really have a lot of confidence in the alphas. The anodized finish seems really durable, haven't noticed any wear beyond a stripped screw from a dull screwdriver. And speaking of screws, are there extras available for a few bucks? I need a few replacements/backups for the board cleat screws but am not sure what's needed. Thanks again, hope to ride again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6