Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Phantom Bindings 12/13 vs 13/14 comparison
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 am 

I already shipped them off to Geoff.
Maybe when he receives them he can post one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 am 

looks amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:53 am 

Just passed my ACMG Apprentice Ski (snowboard) Guide exam on a pair of Phantom generation 2 proto's. Very slick indeed. To maintain flow in a day of guiding, transitions need to be flawless and fiddling is not an option. The protos preformed just like that... flawless! Really happy with the weight savings too. The weak link for HB's used to be the bindings... now the bindings are its strong point.
Thanks Keefler!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:33 am 

Congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 pm 

jvosburgh wrote:
Just passed my ACMG Apprentice Ski (snowboard) Guide exam on a pair of Phantom generation 2 proto's. Very slick indeed. To maintain flow in a day of guiding, transitions need to be flawless and fiddling is not an option. The protos preformed just like that... flawless! Really happy with the weight savings too. The weak link for HB's used to be the bindings... now the bindings are its strong point.
Thanks Keefler!!

Congrats on passing the exam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:08 pm 

Got 8 days of riding in a variety of conditions on the 13/14 Phantoms and loved them... here are some quick observations:

1. Transitions are significantly better and faster now. My only issue with last year's model was the pins, all of that is resolved now. Love the interface, extremely easy to use and reliable. If the only improvement in the binding was this, I would still want a pair.
2. I was worried that the new interface would slip and rotate under pressure. Under pretty heavy stress on some pretty firm snow conditions, absolutely flawless performance. I have no issues recommending these to people at least my size (210lbs).
3. Not sure how much weight is shaved off but can feel the difference when handling both sets. The lower weight on the new models did not seem to comprimise the ride.
4. A bit different flex pattern than last year's model. There is definetely a more progressive flex as you shift weight from heel to toe. Overall I liked it better, a bit more natural transition as you shift your weight. Didn't feel a negative impact when trying to jump turns or rotate the board quickly.

So overall, I'm impressed. I liked it enough that I've asked Keffler to put my name on the list to buy a pair next year. To me, it's worth an upgrade from last year's binding.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:45 pm 

Though I have not ridden them, I've seen the new Phantoms and they are a gorgeous piece of workmanship. Awesome work John.

And congrats Joey on getting certified, you the man.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:06 pm 

Nice! I look forward to seeing the wait list...I plan on being on that list as well. Thanks for the great reviews!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:11 pm 

Got a couple more days on the proto Phantoms. They are riding great. So nice and light compared to the first edition. The added binding flex is much better and the board connection and reaction is still super tight. I got to ride them on smooth bullet proof, just about unrideable rough bullet proof corn, perfect corn, deep sticky mank and corn in tight trees.

It is spring conditions, so I did not get to test the icing issues but at the transition they slide on so much easier with the polyethylene shim and the narrowed connection points. The new locking design works really well.

I did get a bit of a shift in the adjustment of the pins, I think. John has mentioned that he adds a touch of blue loctite to the threads to solve that issue.

Really stoked to actually get a pair for Rebecca and myself. These things are such a dramatic improvement over anything with the Voile pucks. I don't think John sleeps much. Thanks for the hard work!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:53 pm 

buell wrote:
The added binding flex is much better and the board connection and reaction is still super tight.

Agreed. I think the additional flex is dialed in perfect on the new version. If anything, the v1s were too responsive, which led to a bit of a 'harsh ride.' The ride now is so natural and easy with the Phantom v2s, I really can't imagine the ride being any better.

Nice work John! And the new heel lifters are super fly... just the icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:35 pm 

Thanks guys for giving these prototypes a good beating. I didn't get this opportunity with the 12/13 Phantom "Beta". For those of you who have them, please contact me about either sending them back or buying them. I need to bring some cash in to support the production build.

Good news too, I even got one more design deep from what you guys tested out (an even lighter version) so I'm taking all the lessons learned and putting that into what I think is going to be a great binding for everyone. The 13/14 Phantom "Alpha". I'm going to hold off on the Phantom heel risers as I want to get one more season on them so they work flawlessly, but I'll still have a complete package to sell so it can be a one stop system for those who want that. And of course, some more prototype goodies for the Phantom Test Crew. The 13/14 season is gonna be a good one! :bananas:

I'm still working out the final details for the Alpha bindings. They will be for sale so not to worry, just might be another limited build. They will be ready by Oct 2013 and will be less than $825 for a complete system.

Sorry, I've been off the boards and not returning many emails. I had a really interesting project come up and it's just taking all the focus I got. Then I'm off to the Cape to inspect hardware. It's so ridiculous it just might work, but sorry, not splitboard related.

To give you a hint:

My Unicorn has ion thrusters, how about yours?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:45 pm 

Sweeeet!! Great news.