Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What difference does it make?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 pm 

Howdy

What's the difference between a stiff and less-stiff binding? Specifically, what kind of difference could I expect between a Burner and Blaze?

Thanks

-Ben

Post subject: Re: What difference does it make?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:33 pm 

Stiff bindings are more responsive to movements so you get very quick actions with less input. Softer bindings give a looser ride (slightly) and allow for more flex in tweaks and grabs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 pm 

I've had this year's Blazes and Burners and I can say I can feel the response a bit better on the Burners. If you look here, pretty much everyone rides Burners. Actually, I don't know if anyone rides the Blazes. But maybe. I'd definitely like to know who and why.

My resort board has the stiffest Flux bindings they make. The Burners are pretty similar. I've never ridden in the park, don't really butter or ride switch, etc. I can't really tell you the advantage of riding a splitboard with softer Blazes especially since you lose just a bit of responsiveness on the split in the first place. The Burners allow quicker initiation of turns.

Good question, though. I'm curious to why people ride Blazes. Apparently Spark sells the most of these but I see Burners sold out instantly in stores. I bought the last pair of Burners in REI Seattle over a month ago but the highback lever was stripped out. I exchanged them for Blazes, thought they were fine until REI shipped me the last pair of medium Burners (in the company) last week and I can feel the difference. There's still plenty of Blazes in the store as of tonight. For what it's worth, the Blaze's baseplates are a pain in the a** to clear the snow and ice out of the holes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 pm 

I have Burners. My wife has Burners, though she had no choice in the matter since I bought them. :). A friend of mine has the Blazes and wished he had Burners as he finds the Blazes to be too flexy in the highback.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 pm 

Before this become an analysis of metal density, the difference in the Sparks will be in the highback and maybe a little in the straps. I dont understand why people make such a big deal out of such small things. I think highbacks in general are uncomfortable and mostly superfluous.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:13 am 

I ride 10/11 blazes, there were no burners when I stepped up my bindings into the 21st century.

I get on alright. But I'm the last person to blame equipment for anything related to my riding.

I did retrofit newer burton ankle ratchets/ladders onto the binding - but the straps and rest are all blaze.

Maybe a little stiffer would help? Its certainly not hurting me though. I don't ever really hear any no boarders complain that they need a stiffer binding to get on either :)

Can't comment on the new version blaze/burners though never ridden them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a park rider. My shirts don't cover my knees.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 am 

i have blaze's, for me its about the straps more than the highback. I find the burner ankle strap limits the forward flex of my boot a lot especially when climbing the blaze lets my ankle flex normally. I don't feel that much difference in the highback flex. I like stiff highbacks, i ride bentmetals inbounds with their aluminum highback (no flex). The flex in the blaze highbacks feels progressive and i ride with a little more forward lean and get the same feel. Blaze run about 250g lighter too.

stiff highbacks help with carving on groomers, not so much on soft snow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:07 am 

True. For the original poster, if this helps, I spent 5 days in the Tetons 2 weeks ago with the Blazes. It was super light, thigh deep snow and any binding would be fine. When I came back to Seattle, the snow was a little less exciting. :cry: When I got the Burners, it was easier (for me) to turn in our much heavier, much less deep snow.

Maybe this helps with your decision?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:01 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
I think highbacks in general are uncomfortable and mostly superfluous.

+1

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm 

I ride the blaze and find it stiffer than my inbounds bindings, the union contact pro's... I would consider myself to be an aggressive rider. But I simply just don't weigh that muchos the blazes work perfect for me.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm 

Taylor wrote:
PedroDelfuego wrote:
I think highbacks in general are uncomfortable and mostly superfluous.

+1

While obviously boot and conditions dependent, I think you guys are crazy. That is not a critique, but an opinion. If it works for you, that's all that matters (wish everyone would consider this logic before 'firing' off a post to the latest hard boot vs. soft boot thread). We've discussed this numerous times, including the forward lean thread. Personally I found the highback on the Blaze severely lacking in responsiveness (caveat, I normally ride in mountaineering boots), while the Burner highback was much more to my liking. YMMV.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5