Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dynafit heel pieces and crampons
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:13 am 

Been reading alot about your experiences with the dynafit toepieces and hardboots - which solves (in my opinion) the main shortcoming of the spark system: touring on icy/hard pack etc. Although I have yet to try hardboot snowboarding, it seems the combination of TLT5s, dynafit toepieces, and plate bindings like the phantoms are the ultimate combo for snowboard mountaineering. I hear the tlt5s climb very well also.

I couldn't find this in any of the related thread and my questions is has anyone tried mounting the heel part of the dynafits to their board? Reason would be to get better manouverability in ski mode buy getting the heel fixed.

This would add some weight (guessing about 400grams for the dynafit parts), but then subtract the weight of the voile heel lifters, so alltogether not a great price to pay I should think.

Thanks. Dan

Post subject: Re: Dynafit heel pieces and crampons
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:54 pm 

I guess I didn't look hard enough, I found it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6843

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:56 am 

NorwegianDan wrote:
Been reading alot about your experiences with the dynafit toepieces and hardboots - which solves (in my opinion) the main shortcoming of the spark system: touring on icy/hard pack etc. Although I have yet to try hardboot snowboarding, it seems the combination of TLT5s, dynafit toepieces, and plate bindings like the phantoms are the ultimate combo for snowboard mountaineering. I hear the tlt5s climb very well also.

Did you try out this setup?

I am asking because I am also considering a setup consisting of Dynafit Low Tech Radical/Race heel and toepieces and plate bindings (possibly Phantoms), but am currently on the fence as I am not sure there will be enough space to mount everything unless you use a very wide stance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 am 

What do you guys think of this option?

Kinda a "soft" lock down. Very simple and light. Custom heel risers with a loop that a ski strap threads through. Not going to be super quick, but when you know you have a long exit, gets the job done.

In action!

I'm pressing down the nose to show you how you do get a little heel lift, but it's pretty small.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:13 pm 

The dynaheel is kinda tempting but really crowds your board and does beg the question about why not just ski...I'm all for experimentation though so please don't take that the wrong way.

Short of mounting a full dynaheel, I think what Keffler has in those pics is about the most heel lock I would honestly want. I don't feel a huge need for any heel lock. I splitski a ton and it works fine. My friends who are better skiers than I, utterly charge it splitskiing. Splits are just terrible skis but Briggs, Landry and a bunch of folks skied super gnarly lines on even more terrible skis.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:32 am 

LowRider wrote:
NorwegianDan wrote:

I am asking because I am also considering a setup consisting of Dynafit Low Tech Radical/Race heel and toepieces and plate bindings (possibly Phantoms), but am currently on the fence as I am not sure there will be enough space to mount everything unless you use a very wide stance.

Hi. Yes, I did. And I really like it.

I will try to get some photos of the setup posted this week.

I found the dynafit low-tech and some F2 carve RS bindings at reasonable price in Cham, and a pair of scarpa F3's second hand here in Oslo.

Love the hardboot feel. Still trying out different setups with canting etc. Did some mods to the boots.

I like having the option to click in the heel, although there is a big disadvantage in that you must click out of the toe piece to get out of the heel piece, then click the toes back in when you want to go back to walk mode. This is a hassle.

Tried the setup in ski mode inbounds too and besides looking like an idiot it didn't release as long I locked in the toes piece. The bellows on the F3's contribute to early release if the toes are not locked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 pm 

Have you tried this?
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.ca/2011/01/dynafit-heel-release-trick.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:59 pm 

lictor4 wrote:

Thats a good little trick, but as far as I can see it wouldn't work on the low tech, since there is nothing to lever against.

http://www.dynafit.com/product/bindings ... ch-radical

Unless I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:42 am 

LowRider wrote:
NorwegianDan wrote:

I have been spending alot of time finding the right stance for me, and eventually ended up at -1 in the back and +15 degrees in the front, currently at roughly 52 cm. Funny enough this is about the same as what I was riding when I started in '94 :) and this angle gives me enough room to take stance in a little.

The masking tape on the photos was used to mark centre of sidecut, setback, and then get correct stance for the front and back (thanks barrows for input in stance thread).

Took off a little of plastic of the puck at the time, tried it out, then took off some more.

I can go to about 30 degrees if I increase stance to max. A little tricky since you do not have possibility to microadjust stance with the pucks.

It is also possible to saw off a little off the plastic lever on the dynafits if you need more room. No problem replacing these later if you change your mind, and they come off reasonably easy. Stepping in and out may be a little more hassle though.

https://picasaweb.google.com/halfdanhouge/Splitboard02

Like I said, I like the setup, but I do actually think the maurelli option, or a similar design with a snap lock like forum member burton's (if I remember correctly) diy carbon ones, are better if they hold up on traversing. It is not often locking the heel is necessary and also Kefflers skistrap idea isn't bad at all.

Where do you ride? PM if you are interested in meeting up in Jotunheimen.