Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Phantom Splitboard Bindings, Group Order (Hardboot Specific)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:00 pm 

This system is bad-ass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm 

Has anyone tried the Phantom Bindings with a Scarpa F1 Boots?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 pm 

Yes, I went on my first full tour today with F1's and the Phantoms.
It was awesome!
The Phantoms ride so great! So much more responsive then mt plates, and better then the burton race plate mod fo sho!
Interface with bails is great and my F1. Just like with my Burton plate bindings for resort. I have also ridden them a couple times now at Purgatory, and been very impressed.
Today we toured up Red Mt Pass, skied into the other side half way down. Then back up and down to the car on RMP. Super smooth, 3 transitions like butter. Rode a nice variety of snow from pow to wind press. Barely noticed the added weight from the new board plates. Best i've felt on my split, and I thought I was happy before

I found some 5-6 deg cants that are the same shape as Keffler's toes and heel blocks. I put them in by back foot and felt even better.

This system is awesome!

Thank you John! :headbang:

Jones Hovercraft 60
Supermodel 73
Dynafit TLT5 Mtn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm 

SplitChief:

Great Reveiw,

Is the F1 boot flex any concern? Will the front pin dig a hole in the F1 boot sole?

How is the lateral flex F1 and Phantoms?

I am very interested in the Phantoms. I ride a stock Scarpa F1 Boot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 pm 

Pow
Love this site, happy to contribute.
Flex like forward lean? No concern, feels solid.
I ride stocks F1's also, recently I've been riding looser up in top of boot. Loose power strap, and walk mode strap just engaged a few clicks. I know people say ditch the strap, but i like to carry my boots like that frankly. I'm loving the boots even more now, this is my second full season.
Not sure about the pin, didn't really take too much time trying to look under boot while in bindings yet. Time will tell.
Lateral flex is good very similar to burton plate bindings.

I asked John if he can do a board plate for solids. He seemed positive. I think that could be a great selling point.
And that could bring more people to the dark side.

ONE PLATE TO SHRED THEM ALL!
:bow:

Jones Hovercraft 60
Supermodel 73
Dynafit TLT5 Mtn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:50 pm 

still room for the next order of these? Also - pmt up front I'm assuming?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 pm 

Get a pair of the Phantoms Powder Rider. I don't see why there would any issues with the F1s.

Just got them out for a second time. They are such a dramatic improvement over any binding system using the Voile Plate and pucks as a starting point. It really connects the two board halves together and the instant response of the board to rider inputs is so great to finally have on a split board. Not to mention the super low ride height.

Rebecca just got on them for the first time today and we had 1000 vert of really tough riding to get down. There is no way she could have ridden those conditions our previous Voile plate / F2 toe and heel block set up (effectively the same as the Voile plate / Burton mod).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 pm 

These binders look great. When does the strap/soft boot version come out?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:20 pm 

Hey Guys, sorry for the delay...

NorwegianDan wrote:
Great work! This really looks like my ticket into hardboot riding.

Just wondering if its possible to mount to sidewinders on the plates?

Cant seem to find this discussed in related threads.

I don't know if the sidewinders would fit. I tried to take a "deck up" approach when designing this system so everything is meant to work together. Is there something about the bails and bail blocks on the Phantoms that you don't like?

provotrout wrote:
still room for the next order of these? Also - pmt up front I'm assuming?

Sorry to change things around on this second build. With limited time and budget, I decided to focus on just prototyping this next build. Might have a few used binding for sale in late February. Might sound odd, but focusing on next season so stay tuned. Lots of new things coming! Also hoping to have enough funds so I can build bindings without preorder and therefore prepayment.

splitchef wrote:
I asked John if he can do a board plate for solids. He seemed positive. I think that could be a great selling point.

ONE PLATE TO SHRED THEM ALL!
:bow:

Part of this next prototype is plates that will work on a Splitboard and a Solid. Looks good in CAD, time to make it real...

powslash wrote:
These binders look great. When does the strap/soft boot version come out?

Right now, I can barely keep up with what I've got going on but have thought about how a strap binding could work. Might be a while...sorry...

Thank you everyone for the feedback and encouragement. You guys have made this possible and I'm humbled by the feedback. Happy Shredding!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:27 pm 

Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on this thread for used sales.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 pm 

barrows wrote:
NorwegianDan wrote:

Dan: the short answer is no. The Phantom binding is a dedicated system, designed to provide a lightweight, highly responsive binding set up with low boot to board height. Adding the Sidewinders would defeat the purpose of this binding, making the boot significantly higher off of the board, and making the system much heavier. The Phantom system is designed to hold the boot securely, giving on direct response from the sole of the boot to the board. As such, it is assumed that one will use boots which incorporate enough medial and lateral flex into the shaft of the boot itself. I much prefer the flex to come from the boot, with the sole of the boot relatively firmly connected to the board surface, as this provides a ride which is similar to how traditional soft boot/binding combos feel.

keffler wrote:
Hey Guys, sorry for the delay...

NorwegianDan wrote:

I don't know if the sidewinders would fit. I tried to take a "deck up" approach when designing this system so everything is meant to work together. Is there something about the bails and bail blocks on the Phantoms that you don't like?

Barrow, Keffler:
Thanks. The reason I asked was that the sidewinders were mentioned in a different thread as an option to get more flex from the binding, and this idea appealed to me. I have never even seen let alone ridden the sidewinders, but the interchangable pads seem like a better idea to adjust flex than the way plastic compounds flex.

The firm connection between board and binding is great, but like you say, this does mean you need to get the flex from the boot - and get it right.

I guess what I'm thinking is if there was more flex in the binding, and it was easy to adjust/control, you could use a laterally stiffer boot - maybe even an unmodified AT boot?

So there is nothing about the bail blocks on the Phantoms I don't like - on the contrary I hope to get myself on the list for a pair as soon as possible :D

Dan

Phantom Alpha
Dynafit One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 pm 

Dan:

"I guess what I'm thinking is if there was more flex in the binding, and it was easy to adjust/control, you could use a laterally stiffer boot - maybe even an unmodified AT boot?"

Yes, the answer is, by using an articulated binding like the Sidewinder, you may be able to ride a stiffer AT boot, or a boot with less mods, but at what cost? An articulated binding dictates that the boot sole must be much higher off of the board surface to make room for the mechanism and room for it to pivot. Additionally, an articulated binding has many more parts, and adds a lot of weight.
The Phantom bindings offer a boot sole to board topsheet distance which is virtually equivalent to that of a Spark or Karakoram soft boot setup, I find the low height is a great advantage in terms of board feel and precision. Many are riding the the TLT5 boot with no cuff mods (and just modding the forward lean bar) but I prefer to cut down the cuff, until I get just the right amount of lateral and medial flex-this is not a difficult mod, just takes a little time to dial it in to just how you like it.
Personally, I want it all: light weight, low boot to board height, and perfect flex. The only way I have been able to achieve this is with the Phantom bindings and careful boot mods.
Someday, riders of the future may be lucky enough to have a purpose designed hard boot for splitboarding, until then, modded lightweight AT boots are the best solution I have found.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6