Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - the lightest setup everrrrrrrrrrrrr (hardboot)

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lightest setup everrrrrrrrrrrrr (hardboot)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:12 am 

Bad.......ass!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 pm 

So decided to refine the bindings abit as IntheMountains wanted a pair.ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm 

vapor wrote:
So decided to refine the bindings abit as IntheMountains wanted a pair.ImageImage

That looks great!

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 pm 

And let me tell you...I'm itchin' to get them on my board!

gary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 pm 

scheming for the lightest possible, I have some CAMP crampons (XLC390) http://www.camp-usa.com/products/crampons/xlc-390.asp that feature toe and heel bails made from aluminum alloy. Really lightens the load. It would be awesome to see that incorporated into all this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 pm 

I am also very concerned with weight savings, hence titanium bolts mounting my bindings, choosing the lightest clothing, and ordering my new board with less inserts to save weight, but I will never compromise performance or reliability for weight savings. Reliability is most important, followed by performance, and then weight. I had a pair of the Camp Al crampons you mention, while they were fine for climbing very smooth snow, anything other than that and they were sketchy at best. Sure, I could still get up stuff by applying skill and super precise footwork, but that just used up more energy, and created more stress. I am back on good lightweight steel crampons now, with 12 full length points, and am climbing much more securely. Same is true with bindings. This set up is definately lightweight, and appears like it might be reliable, but it still relies on Voile pucks, which have always seemed a limiting factor to me (hence Karakoram, etc). I hate the limited adjustability of the Voile puck system, and the way the pucks flex, losing precision control of the board. And have broken pucks on two occasions as well.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:07 pm 

Vapor how would one go about gettinga pair of these binders??

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 pm 

Now you just need a pair of these 27g toe pieces
http://www.wildsnow.com/8467/crazy-light-tech-bindings-mauerelli-enters-at-50-grams/

Now that's what I need!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 pm 

Yeah Jamie, I looked at those… but not being able to lock the toe piece seems like it would not work for everyone. And getting in and out seems like it will be much more of a pain than with a Dynafit toe. At 2.8 ozs. I think I will keep using my Dynafit Speed Ultralight toes…

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 am 

Looks very trick. How much do you think the whole thing weighs including dyna touring stuff and pucks and screws?

Or post some weights of your whole board including skins here:

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14047

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:33 am 

The set up is bomber barrows(pun intended),6 years on the diy overlap pucks,and probably 8 years making alpine/split bindings.
At this time im only making for local people as the workload has been crazy for me these past few months.

ieism: Some things are light, other parts are not but my whole setup(163 rossi experience/standard dynatech/ voile skins and my bindings weigh in at 5672 grams. I could probably shave some more weight off going with a racing binding setup and will probably go with the bomber toecliplike inthemountains as the cam action on them are solid and lighter than my cateks that im using.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:45 am 

Glad to hear it has bomber so far. Certainly DIY boards and/or DIY style pucks (as long as one uses enouigh screws) eliminate the stance and flex problems inherent in the Voile Universal puck design. The Volie baseplate is not long enough to provide proper sole support for my boots without adding some material. But hey, whatever works! Looking at those bails, I get a little nervous seeing the threaded shoulder mounts: how much captured thread depth is there, and are those 5mm bails with M5 threads or? I have bent the slider plates as well, and I am not a heavy guy (170-175 lbs) and I do not take big cliff drops or anything, just fairly normal riding in the backcountry... I could see your approach working really well with a carbon fiber slider plate, perhaps with a little more length to support the boot sole (at the heel) a little better for sizes over 27 or so... A carbon slider plate built to the same weight as the Voile would be a lot stronger, and would not bend.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:31 am 

the bail hinges on the solid rod, not on the threads right?

Very nice looking set up!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next