Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Karakoram Heel Risers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:35 pm 

I bent the wire a bit and it has been holding up but now I think that they are so tight the plastic is getting worn down... at first I had 1/4-1/2" of slop on the wire but when it was folding it was more like 3/4" plus... I will get in touch with karakoram and show them the issue.. thanks

Locking heel would be sweet for the asulkyn drainage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:55 pm 

Also, anyone know if you can use voile heels or can you only get them from karakoram?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:31 pm 

Method wrote:
Also, anyone know if you can use voile heels or can you only get them from karakoram?

I put some Voile dual height heels on my board with K bindings and I was a little worried about the apparent stress the K's put on the wires. They don't meet at a nice 90 degree angle where the force placed on the wire was straight down its axis. The K bindings seemed to want to push the Voile wire back. I did not try it since it did not seem like a good fit, but maybe others have pulled this one off.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Method wrote:

I put some Voile dual height heels on my board with K bindings and I was a little worried about the apparent stress the K's put on the wires. They don't meet at a nice 90 degree angle where the force placed on the wire was straight down its axis. The K bindings seemed to want to push the Voile wire back. I did not try it since it did not seem like a good fit, but maybe others have pulled this one off.

I've used both the single and dual height Voile risers with my first gen K's without any problems. I'm not a little guy either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am 

That's great to know. Maybe I shouldn't be afraid of that combo. :)

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm 

Spent a few hours today with the Voile dual height heels with my Karakorams (on one side, and Spark Burners on the other- yeah, I'm weird :) ). No issues to report- it seemed to work fine so far, though I didn't pound on the risers too much with a lot of heavy sidehill stomping or switchbacks.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 pm 

Yeah i had the same issues with my k risers....waiting on my warrantyparts to come in, currently using a set on g3 dual height risers that i bought some longer fastening hardware to make it work.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Snowsport ... -heels.jsp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:14 am 

yeah SAME problem here, seems the plastic is really soft and is rounding out already. 4 days of touring. AND OMFG how frustrating to have that happen mid climb. I litteraly had to stop and turn around. NOT HAPPY for the cost of these bindings.... hoping this was jsut an early batch or whatever. I have sent out an email to the bros in hopes they can get me a replacement ASAP. otherwise im looking into other riser blocks..Qustion is do all the different heel risers use the same bolt spread as the K part? thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 am 

The bros sent me a new set. They look the same. I put them in a vise to squeeze the wires closer together so that they grip the plastic base plate better. Mine used to have 1/2" of fore-aft play and would fold down on their own if I had to stomp crust when breaking trail. They seem a lot less floppy Now and hopefully they are more secure. I will say that sometimes I do miss the dual height of the Voile. The Voile produces a 13 degree footbed with the low wire and a 19 with the high wire. The K splits the difference with 16. Maybe it's just my local terrain, but there are sections of my approach when 16 is either too high for lower angle rolly swales or too short for getting my weight on my heels when clawing straight up a steep bowl. I also can't raise the K bar with my pole handle like I can with the Voiles, so I have to bend over. It's really just a bunch of minor gripes, but they do add up. :wink:

All splitboard heel risers use the standard Voile interface spacing. The red G3 dual height risers also seem to use the same spacing. There is no standard that I am aware of for ski binding heel risers (though I may be ignorant on this point) so unless someone has tried other models it's hard to know if they would work.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 am 

the brothers are on there game!!!! jsut got a call from them, and they are semi redesigning them for next year. Tyler is going to send me a new set at no cost, so that is RAD!. he also mentioned some of the minor changes they are making for next years gear and things look good. Tyler did acknowledge they had an issue and had absolutely no problem sending me a replacement. He even said If ever I have another issue dont hesitate to contact them, there goal is they want there customers to be 100% happy. so seems this issue should be resolved with the new risers. I hope so, cause silverton Colorado isnt flat.. and thats this weekends SPOT!!!! :bananas:

thanks you tyler for your amazing customer service. I look forward to your revisions for next years products.