Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: karakoram replacement straps?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 pm 

was hoping that i could replace the not-so-great karakoram straps with my old burton p1 straps but the holes don't quite fit. from what i've read here, it looks like a lot of people are using union straps so i'm assuming they fit the karakorams nicely. any other companies' straps to choose from or just union?

Post subject: Re: karakoram replacement straps?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:33 pm 

Did you contact Karakoran for replacements? This years I heard were better. I noticed Spark has a little BC field kit encased they break, hopefully Karakoram offers something similar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 pm 

I swapped the straps on my new Karakorams with Burton straps off of this year's Cartels. I used the Karakoram heel strap ladder and extension with the Burton pad. The Burton cap strap fit on the toes and the only thing I had to do was cut off the plastic "spring" part of the ladder and the extension. I haven't ridden with them and I'm keeping the K'ram straps for spares just in case my mods don't work out. The next thing I'm going to try is to put the Cartel eva foam base plate pad on the K'ram base plates.

FYI, the ladders and forward lean adjusters match the parts in the Ride spare parts kit from a couple of years ago, just in case you go looking for spares.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:42 am 

Jason4 wrote:
I swapped the straps on my new Karakorams with Burton straps off of this year's Cartels. I used the Karakoram heel strap ladder and extension with the Burton pad. The Burton cap strap fit on the toes and the only thing I had to do was cut off the plastic "spring" part of the ladder and the extension. I haven't ridden with them and I'm keeping the K'ram straps for spares just in case my mods don't work out. The next thing I'm going to try is to put the Cartel eva foam base plate pad on the K'ram base plates.

FYI, the ladders and forward lean adjusters match the parts in the Ride spare parts kit from a couple of years ago, just in case you go looking for spares.

you mod your baseplate yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:48 pm 

peronally i swapped mine for burton straps ladders and extenders, the nubs that fit into the steel heelcup wrap around are slightly smaller although after 8 days of touring i have had zero issues with them. personally i had just destroyed a ladder due to a faulty ratchet which karakoram replaced and i just couldnt wait for the new one so i took some straps off some old burton lo backs and i havent looked back. this years straps were really comfortable my only complaint was with the ratchets as they were finnicky although apparently next seasons karakorams have new custom highbacks and straps/ratchets and there will be an 'upgrade kit' coming which will include heel lock as described on their facebook

hope this helps
JAson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm 

The instep strap on this year's Split30s are ok, but I hated the toe strap. It was bulky and opened on its own sometimes for no apparent reason. :thumbsdown: I also tossed some Burton straps off a pair of Cartels on and have been very happy since.

I love that Spark went straight for Burton straps this year. I didnt have to swap straps on my Burners.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm 

Would the Burton straps and highback from the Burner upgrade kit work on the Karakorams?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 pm 

Straps, sure.

Hi backs, not so sure. I'm on the road right now so I can't check. The K hi backs work fine though. I personally wouldn't see any immediate reason to change them.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!