Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Now Binders- no highback mfg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
"wow that sounds gimmicky."

That was my first reaction too when I heard about these at the beginning of the season. Just so everyone knows, they are not highbackless. They have highbacks in every pic I have seen. I think that the highback can be removed if you want. I know they have interchangeable polymer "bushings" that allows the rider to adjust the stiffness of the pivot effect. I'll definitely learn a little more this weekend and hopefully, get to ride them. I usually lean more to the big stiff binding for big mountain riding so I'll put them through the ringer hopefully.

Gotta say, I'm not much on who is sponsored by who, and I haven't lifted a snowboard mag in over 5 years, but JF and the others standing behind these seem to give them a little validity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:40 pm 

Spoke to a couple guys in the lift line yesterday, loving them.

Still looking for JF, see if he's in to a split set up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:30 pm 

these look like these could be fun for skate style resort board, if the made a cambered wide 145 with a spoon nose and tail for buttery flexy fun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:02 pm 

I rode them today on hard pack, blower, in trees, all over Winterpark. The tech works incredibly well.

The mount that the center plate sits in pivots heel to toe. there's a full length foot bed that sits on top. the baseplate is raised off the deck with four pads that sit in each corner. there's three sets you can choose from- soft, mid, and stiff. the high back is pretty low profile. it sits inside the heel loop so you can take it out and still keep your boot flush against the inside. tool-less adjustments on the straps.

I used Jeremy Jones' pair- never met the guy but i ended demoing his bindings :scratch: they run up to size 10 for s/m and l/xl covers the rest. i was wearing a 9 boot with the s/m and it felt really snug. not in a bad way. I just never had a binding that fit hugged the heel like that.

I didn't feel the actual pivot underfoot but the ease and control the bindings add to the ride was incredible. You just need them to try to see what it's like.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 pm 

I spent a day riding the NOW bindings and aside from some pre-production issues (shredded the ladders) they felt like a solid binding system. I found the straps really comfortable, but a few of us found the tight heel (really tight heel as mud mentioned) a little odd at first, but not necessarily bad. Aside from that the bindings rode really well, and despite the smallish highjack I didn't noticed a whole lot of difference in performance from the Union Atlas' I've been spending time on this year. I can't honestly say I noticed the pivot with the "kingpin" but they did feel different...I just can't tell you how.

Anyway, a binding I would definitely check out again in the future.

In case anyone hasn't seen them here's a photo I snapped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:51 am 

I've been riding Burton Malavitas on my solid board lately with a pair of Driver Xs with the tongues in and love it. I only mention it here because the Malavitas flex side to side but the response is still good edge to edge with the stiff boots. It's a very different feel from what I've ridden in the past (everything from Burton Flex to original Prestons, original Customs, various Sims and Drake bindings, to nearly current CO2s).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm 

Spent 2 days on these this week.
Pow and hardpack day on a pow board.
Looks like ChompOnThis used the 'soft' bushings. I used the 'hard' ones both days. The idea is to be able to customize the stiffness.
Definitely noticed the pivot system. Board was quicker to get up on edge, I thought this would be more noticeable with the softer bushings. Edge to edge seemed quicker.
Love the heelcup. Boot is jammed right in there. Don't have to rely on the highback as much, and I like LOTS of forward lean.
What I didn't like was when I was holding an edge the bindings had a bit of 'give'. Shock absorption, but a touch of washout.
I'm going to take them out on one of my SBX boards and see how they perform.

I can see most people loving these.