Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A couple Karakoram Split30 questions...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:46 am 

Jason4 wrote:
The heel bails could be improved, it's nice how tall the sparks bails stand off the board when they are down, it looks easier to hook a finger under to lift the wire up but it's not the end of the world.
Not at all sure what are you talking about here? Heel bails (and toe bails for that matter) are what plate (hardboot) binders have... Do you have some secret Spark hard boot binding none of us are privy too? Please do tell :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:55 am 

He is talking about the heel riser.

On that topic, why would they be cheap and not include the second, taller climbing bar? The bindings are expensive enough, the heel plate is ready to accept it (unlike the Voile), and i would assume many people would appreciate it.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 pm 

Yep, when I said heel bail I was talking about the climbing wire/riser bar/whatever you want to call it. The wire on Colin's setup is more of a trapezoid shape and stands up higher off his board than the triangle shape of the K'rams. There is more room to get a finger/pole tip under his wires than there is on mine. I don't know that K'ram has room to change since the plastic puck is so thin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:01 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
On that topic, why would they be cheap and not include the second, taller climbing bar? The bindings are expensive enough, the heel plate is ready to accept it (unlike the Voile), and i would assume many people would appreciate it.

I've even asked to buy them - I think included would be nice - but no response. I read an old post maybe you can use another brand's climbing wires? I assume they are busy just filling orders at the moment. I guess they are ramping up to make some toe ramps too?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:35 pm 

During my brief ownership of the Split30s I tried putting the long Voile climbing posts on the Karakoram heel plates, and they did not fit very pleasantly. Voile heel posts snap into place and they stay put reasonably well (as well as plastic allows, anyway) while the K riser is really hard to lift initially, and then ends in a very sloppy vertical position. The Voile wire on the K pad was even more vague, and did not achieve the correct angle. It was leaning back a lot and would have folded down the first time you stepped on it. That said, some dremeling would have improved matters, I bet.

I would just grind the raised tabs off a Voile dual height heel riser and run that with Split30s, if I were in that position.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:24 pm 

I ran into the same problem with a Rome Whiteroom that has hooks. Solution? Unscrew one of the chinese hooks in the front and flex the boards so the front kram plates aren't normally set up. After you get the back hook/plates set you can make the front Kram binding fit. Clip the tip and you're good to go.

Def wouldn't recommend it for long term or to let a friend borrow but it's a short term fix. And yeah if your board is cap then probly best to stay away from karakoram. If you have a sidewall board it's doable but will likely result in more wear to your inside topsheet where the connections are.