Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spark or Karakoram?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 am 

I bought a set of burners for this season (sold my light rails) and my friend brought back from the US a set of karakoram (standard model - not the super light).

I really felt like I should have invested a little more, but:
In here (France), karakoram are twice the price of the burner! and virtually all boards are sold WITH the voilé interface...

The blaze/burners are of a pretty good quality & this year they come with burton straps which is a huge improvment compared to last year... The burner highback is pretty stiff though they managed to keep the weight pretty low...

The karakorams look marvelous, it's pretty well engineered and even though I had doubts about ride mode, the bindings don't move a millimeter once they're in place, the straps look ok but certainly not as good as the new spark (burton) straps.

Overall, I'd go with karakoram (and put spare burton straps on them) if I was to split a board / buy a board without any voilé hardware but if you already have the voilé interface, I'd rather save EUR 330, I'd get the burners which are also very good bindings (a bit less practical in transition).

If you need crampons, I think Mr Chomp (Spark) are much better that the karakoram (and voilé) crampons...

The other thing is that karakoram are pretty new, we all know the trouble spark had in the begining - karakorams are more complicated and I'd still wait another winter to see how well they do... depending on that, next year I might move to karakorams - if they manage to lower the price a bit...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:43 pm 

I LOVE MY KARAKORAMS! No complaints!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:24 pm 

I don't think anyone that drops the 500+ on a set of Karakorums is going to be complaining. Very well designed interface with loads of in the field testing.

I run Sparks and the reason for it is simple. They are a butt load cheaper, fit with my existing interface, and are incredibly simple. They hold the board super tight, tour very efficiently and I have had no problems with any of the parts after a season of touring with them.

If you have the coin, the Karakorums are great, if not, the Sparks are every bit as good when it comes to function :headbang:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:34 pm 

Karakoram needs to offer additional base plates and toe brackets, etc, for sale for those of us who own multiple boards and want to swap the bindings between them. I would be a lot more tempted to go the Split30 route if I didn't have to unscrew and re-install ALL my hardware every time I wanted to swap boards. And there is no way I'm dropping the cheddar on multiple, complete binding sets at $600 a pop.

I'm afraid that when they do finally offer additional board mounts for sale they will cost $250 plus. Ouch.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:44 pm 

Thanks for the comparison.

I went with Spark for the same reason - already have a Voile board/hardware. Just picked up a set of Burners - can't wait to try them! These will be my first splitboard-specific bindings. Karakoram stuff looks awesome and someday i would like to try them out, but i think i'll be happy with what i have for now. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Karakoram needs to offer additional base plates and toe brackets, etc, for sale for those of us who own multiple boards and want to swap the bindings between them. I would be a lot more tempted to go the Split30 route if I didn't have to unscrew and re-install ALL my hardware every time I wanted to swap boards. And there is no way I'm dropping the cheddar on multiple, complete binding sets at $600 a pop.

I'm afraid that when they do finally offer additional board mounts for sale they will cost $250 plus. Ouch.

you tried emailing them? I bet they would sell you them cheap. I asked how much extra toe straps were and they were very reasonable

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 pm 

:thatrocks: :thatrocks: Both are Quality options!! :thatrocks: :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm 

Split30s in route!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
I would be a lot more tempted to go the Split30 route if I didn't have to unscrew and re-install ALL my hardware every time I wanted to swap boards.

We do carry custom pucks to mount Sparks on your solid boards, so you can rock 1 set of binders for all your boards by simply sliding em off and on the board you want to ride :D

Makes traveling a little easier too :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:07 am 

Tried out the split30s yesterday for the first time and was pleased they worked very well touring was a breeze

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes