Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Burton Race Plate Mod
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:22 pm 

Barrows Your above post is exactly what I was looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:37 pm 

PSA: Burton Race Plate Bindings for Sale on Ebay, (not my listing),

Bidding ends tomorrow.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burton-Race-Plate-Bindings-Carving-/251043583449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a735d15d9#ht_500wt_1076

I just purchased a pair of these bindings on EBAY from CAVAH. The Race plates should arrive in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 am 

FYI: It is important to carpet-surf (aka: standing in the bindings with your hard boots on) the Burton Race Plates bindings on a snowboard, before making the modification to the Voile Slider-plates and adding the Burton Race Plate toe and heel pieces.

Anytime, I have tried adjusting plates bindings without standing in the bindings, I always seem to incur a bit of slop in the toe bail tension and I would have to adjust the toe bail a few millimeters to get the correct toe-bail tension.

You'll want to get the correct tension in the toe-bail to HB boot to heel-bail connection. Measure the base plate hole pattern of Burton Race binding, where the, or use the base-plate as a guide to mark or drill the binding holes onto the Voile-Slider Plate. Measurement / hole pattern is from where the screws of the Burton Race toe and heel pieces are mounted into the Burton Race base-plate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 am 

I am going to build this thing over Christmas and I am going to use the parts from Carvers Paradise. The question is do I need anything else apart from the bails - Rear and front?
@JasonS99 mentions "Speed CC Aluminum Toeplate" which seems to be this. What is it for?

Also will the slider plate realisticly accomodate a 29 boot (TLT5)? Sometimes I hate those big feet...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm 

mo ridin you will need those aluminum plates, toe and heel, they hold the bails down, the bails will be sandwiched b/w the slider plate and the toe and heel Al plates. Look at the pictures in the first post of this thread.

the slider plates do accommodate a 29 TLT 5, but you will have to drill more holes. for the toe end (with the pin) you can't go too far forward as the t nuts will block the pin from sliding thru the plate. if you position the t nuts so their widest diameter is perpendicular to the long axis of the plate you'll get the most clearance, and you can file the top edge down a bit on the t nut if you set it up a bit too tight. The heel end has more space, no pin, you might find it hard to fine tune your stance to the centre of the deck but the offset won't be much.

also, you might think it would be smart to use the outside pair of holes on the Al toe and heel plates, so as to get a wider stronger base of support. Don't do it!
only use the inside holes or the t nuts will stop the plate from sliding over the pucks. not that i know anybody who f@ct that up!!! :roll: :oops: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 am 

What 130 euro gets you from CarversParadise.com. Actually, from the manufacturer's website - http://www.carvecompany.com it comes a little bit more expensive.
The cover plates seem too bulky to me.
I am making my own slider plate, with a bit more contact surface on the board and from more rigid material (7051), hoping to be ready by mid-January. Probably with a set of custom pucks. Again with more contact surgace and from stronger plastic (similar to the the one on wildschnee.de).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:18 pm 

Just a couple of comments on this

I ride pretty hard on my gear, have been fruitbooter for 20+ years (really), splitting for 5-6. I've been stuck in really shitty places with broken bindings and have had to posthole out of long, far away shitty spots. in any case,

I originally started with a direct bolt on of the burton/ibex/cc toe and heel pieces to the voile plates, but this had a few major problems (for me anyways, not sure about anyone else)

1) flex, the plate was nowhere near strong enough to take heavy landings or heel side impacts on rocks, ice etc (no, we dont hit pow all the time), so on big impacts you would flex out. You'd also feel this on a hard surface on big load heelsides, it would feel like your toe was floating left to right (it actually was) as the flex was taking the load off of the bail. Its easier to repro this on hardpack but since we dont really ride that, but that hardpack condition does manifest itself on really steep icy picthes or just crappy batches of crust etc.
2) even if you fix #1, the mod didnt't allow for emergency relocation of stripped holes/bolts which you can again get from heavy jump landings or big impacts. Which is inevitable with any sort of setup based on this, but the answer is to have extra holes that you can relocate to in a jiffy. If you've ridden the plates in any sort of heavy impact environment (racing, big drops, snow-X) you know that this happens with them

my latest incarnation is a tig weld of the original burton/ibex/cc base plate to the voile plate. this solves #1 and #2. not pretty, but worked to solve those 2 issues anyways. Its way stiffer so way less torque releases. and if you do blow out the bolts or strip the holes, you just move a half hole up /down (side effect is its adjustable for boot size). The baseplate adds a few grams but eliminates the t-bolts, in anycase, if found it to be way more reliable than the direct toe/heel bolt on

just thought I'd mention this

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 pm 

Quote:
Flex, the Burton plate was nowhere near strong enough to take heavy landings or heel side impacts on rocks, ice etc (no, we don't hit pow all the time), so on big impacts you would flex out

Patr: I think Bomber Sidewinder Bindings would be an excellent choice for your style of riding. Also I waiting to hear more feedback on the Phantom Bindings over the length of this season.

So I tried modifying a pair of Burton Race plates onto Voile Tracks. All I needed to do was widen the inside of the holes of the Voile Slider tracks with a Dremel tool.

On one binding I got a good fit (good toe-bail tension) but on the other binding I did not get the toe-bail tension right (just a little bit of slop). I also added a a 2 1/2 degree cants (http://www.tognar.com/ski-binding-cants%20...%20ee-strips/)under the pucks. However the screws do not seem to stay tight.

Instead of freehanding with the Dremel, would I be better off using the Burton Plates pucks (toe and heel) as drill guides and use a drill press? I only needed to oblong each hole a couple of millimeters. How can I achieve a tighter fit with the 2 1/2 degree cants underneath the pucks and prevent the screws from loosening?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:31 am 

hi all. finally found some race plates to mount on voile plates. using scarpa spirit 3 boots. 2 questions for the experts who have already done this. really appreciate any responses.

1) i'm missing set screws on toe bails. i'm assuming I need these. what do they do? I was just going to try to find a screw with same thread. does anyone know if plastic ones are available anywhere?

2) how tight do you set tension? I'm assuming tight but not too tight. is there some rule of thumb? I was going to setup bindings with baseplates on solid board to get tension correct, then use same spacing on voile plate.

Thanks everyone for their posts. Amazing resource for ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 pm 

Your best thing to do here, is to mount up the burton race plates on solid board and ride the solid board. I find carpet testing (wearing boots) yields a different setting of the toe-bail tension. So go out and ride your bindings on a solid first.
( I ride an old burton Fish with race plates too).

Toe bail tension. You want the toe bail to be a firm snap, without to any side rotational slip of the boot in the bindings. But not so tight the the bail could break. I did this to a burton carrier plate binding (same plastic toe bail used on race plates.

Note the you should try to use the existing voile plate holes, if possible. And remember to the use the inside holes of the Burton race plate as pattern. Transfer the screw pattern where the binding puck screws are mounted. On the burton race plates, my boots mounts on the inside heel puck and on the outside holes of the toe bail. So I will have to create a jig and drill the rear puck inside holes into the jig and then move binding back a few millimeters dill the inside holes for the toe puck. So the bindings are the same distance as before on the burton race plate. The toe bail tension has be just right.

Use the jig and drill press to transfer binding holes onto the burton race plate. I tried the freehand and it did not work out so well.

Good Luck :thumpsup: