Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Bindings for Large Feet??
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 am 

I'm looking to pick up a pair of split specific bindings but from looking at pictures of both the Voile lightrails and the Spark Blaze's they both look like my toes are going to be hanging way out in the air. Toe drag has always been an issue for me but on my solid boards I use the old Palmer riser plates to get up off the deck - can't really use that for a split rig tho.

The toe drag I'm not so worried about (getting a wide board) so long as I can get the balls of my feet onto the main structure of the binding to pressure my edges.

Has anyone with big feet (I'm size 15) had any problems or success stories with split specific bindings? Has anyone developed any mods to these bindings for adjustable toe ramps or similar?

Post subject: Re: Best Bindings for Large Feet??
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:03 pm 

I have size 14s and my fuses work fine. the ball of my foot is on the footbed, no problems at all.

you might want to look at a pair of touring risers- they help your toes from digging in during split mode. I'm trying out a pair this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:16 am 

Revquinn wrote:
I'm looking to pick up a pair of split specific bindings but from looking at pictures of both the Voile lightrails and the Spark Blaze's they both look like my toes are going to be hanging way out in the air. Toe drag has always been an issue for me but on my solid boards I use the old Palmer riser plates to get up off the deck - can't really use that for a split rig tho.

The toe drag I'm not so worried about (getting a wide board) so long as I can get the balls of my feet onto the main structure of the binding to pressure my edges.

Has anyone with big feet (I'm size 15) had any problems or success stories with split specific bindings? Has anyone developed any mods to these bindings for adjustable toe ramps or similar?

OK so don't shoot the messenger here. Size 15 feet your best bet is some G3 Onyx. On the bright side you don't have to worry about the Sparks Vs. Karakorum debate anymore. Once you get those G3's I'd recommend mounting them on some Icelandic Shamans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 am 

@ kings run east

thanks for the tip - sounds like the Sparks might be the way to go, tho I'm a bit put off by the whole binding fiasco on this years Blazes.

@ peacefrog

are you suggesting I ski? surely thou dost jest!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 am 

OK - so I got the Blazes becaus ehtey at least appeared to cater for a slightly larger foot.

Unfortunately I would say they are insufficient for a size 15 boot, and even my friend struggled with his size 13 boot. It was workable and certainly didn't stop me riding, but the main uissues are:

*toe strap will not stay across toe as the angle it likes to sit at places it more across my instep. Also my boot is too wide for the cap strap style fitting to be effective. Meant that I lost a lot of heel edge control due to toe uplift

*Heel drag - this was a major safety concern because the heel cups had to be cranked right out in order to get my boot in, and due to the lack of ability to centralise the binding across the board, the result is a lot of heel drag meaning icy heelside traverses were all but impossible.

I'm going to try and fashion some custom pucks which should allow me to centre up the binding a little, but if anyone out there is looking for a binding for a larger foot size, I'd say the current Blazes probably aren't the best option.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:17 am 

I have a pair that I am pretty sure would've fit your size boot. If you find your sparks lacking :roll: and want to try out something, well...better :thumpsup: , hit me up!