Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: karakoram straps
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:57 pm 

I searched but didn't find a specific answer.

Can the karakoram binding straps be replaced with something else similar to how you can swap them out on the Voile light rail's?

I would assume you can but looking for a definite answer.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: karakoram straps
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 pm 

yes, this is pretty easy. the stock ankle straps are ok, but i found they look more comfy and padded than they really feel. they look kind of like the straps on my burton Co2s, but definitely aren't as plush. i swapped an old set of really simple fabric burton straps/pads on them, which are much lighter and just as comfortable. just attached them with the screws. i think i had to use the plastic spacer from the original straps to get the screw length right.

i also swapped one of the toe strap anchor pieces because it broke. some of the burton parts don't fit, but a shop had another style of burton strap that fit perfectly and is better quality plastic anyways. you need to disassemble the front part of the binding to do this. i also carved out notches in my toe straps so they would sit at a lower angle and work better as cap straps. with the binding in the stock small position, they otherwise interfere with the metal bracket and rest at too high of an angle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 am 

I broke a toe strap a few weeks ago riding at the resort. Luckily, it was a blower powder day. So it didn't really bother me much not having it. I went up to the snowboard shop and we looked for some solutions. An OK one was some Ride straps. The ones with the gel net. The plastic feels good and the strap works OK. They are just a bit sticky getting them to release. Not really thrilled about that. They will take a bit of sanding to get the straps to pivot easily. I just jammed them in and positioned them where I wanted.

I think what will be a good fix is whatever the guys with the new sparks are finding. From what I understand the straps are the same brand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:04 pm 

Sweet, thanks guys.

Do most companies sell ONLY the straps from their bindings? It would suck to have to buy a whole binding set just to use the straps lol. and a waste of a ton of money!!

I'm gonna be getting the karakorams (and Ive only seen pictures) but I don't like the straps and want to replace them. And also it would be nice to have something more personal.

How are the stock backs on the Karakorams?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 am 

No problem with the stock backs. They are nice and stiff. If you like that, you will like them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:08 am 

does anyone know what other highbacks will fit well on the k's?
just thinking of a back-up.