Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hardbooter Bindings with locked heels in tour?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:12 pm 

PowderNewb wrote:
I see what you guys are saying but I just want to get the right gear first time around. Whats the point of spending 1k on a board/softboot/binding setup that I dont plan on using for too long? http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/sn ... ay_one.cfm
However if learning on softboots is better than I will do so.

I'll wear hockey pad shorts I already know bout the fall cycle. I also DH free ride whistler and have way gnarlier crashes on rock and dirt/roots.. all while trying to dodge a 40lb bike ...so i'm not to worried. Of course i'll be doing my learning inbounds on lifts, as it's much faster way to learn.

I will say this again. Rebecca and I have both broken legs while learning to snowboard doing things that seemed okay but were not. Rebecca's sister broke her arm learning. Injuries are common while learning to snowboard and it is really important to have someone, ski patrol, there to haul you off the mountain. In the bc you will likely spend a cold and painful night at best.

I know Bomber well. It is a niche discipline of snowboarding and you will find riders there who do feel that hardboots are great for learning and freeriding. They are in the vast minority however. I spend a lot of time on hardboots, a carving board, and groomers myself. Carving is amazing. That is a very different set up with different goals and technique than a backcountry AT splitboard set up. Using BOL as a guide for bc split riding with AT boots might also lead you to purchase gear that you do not use very long.

I split in AT boots and find them superior for me. They are not stock however. They are quite modified, like many splitters in AT boots have also done. Those modifications are done by each individual to suit their style. Most of us are after the feel of softboots for the ride down with the benefits of AT boots for the ascent. Without softboot skills and knowledge, it will be impossible to get your AT boots modified to ride correctly. Maybe things will work out fine, but with my experience in softboots, carving hardboots, and AT boots, I would start in softboots.

A splitboard does not ride well in a resort. To ride in a resort, you will want a solid board and bindings anyway. Buying that gear will not be a waste. Gear that you learn on will be different from gear that you ride in a year or two anyway if you get enough days.

Yes, you will learn to split ski without a locked down heel. It can be done fairly well.

One of my main rules for splitboarding is start with the simplest option. Add if you need to by testing. Not the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:31 pm 

buell wrote:
Yes, you will learn to split ski without a locked down heel. It can be done fairly well.

One of my main rules for splitboarding is start with the simplest option. Add if you need to by testing. Not the other way around.

Quoted for truth. I would encourage you to not go buy something. Rent some gear, take a lesson and see if you even like it. Hell, try skis and snowboarding. Rentals are not that expensive. Give it a few days on each. You really shouldn't be out in the BC in your first season unless that is a 100 day season and you start around day 70.

Rentals are the way to start, lessons are important. Get the hang of it on lifts, learn to ride BC once you know how to ride the blacks in any conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm 

Rent tele's for a few days and you won't care about a fixed heel. Snowplow, Stem Christie and a good 'ole tele turn will get you through most.

I could even make large radius tele turns on my 100cm short skis. Besides who cares if you bail a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 pm 

ya know how to get to nashville right?

Practice, practice, practice.....
:rock: :rock:
These guys have some good points about taking small steps to accomplish your goal. Beating up rental gear is a great idea that has been floated here. Among other things I would recommend this too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:33 pm 

I'm of the mindset that you should be able to ski/ride resort double blacks easily without falling, and be very comfortable on blacks before you venture into the BC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:17 am 

Carrying on with the derail, but you will know when your ready for the backcountry, and i doubt its in the first year. The average time riding of most splitboarders would be 10years+? and get soft boot bindings who cares if its harder to ski harder to climb the reason your out their is to ride! easy game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:13 pm 

You should be able to get down most hills on the up w/o locking heels. Would be nice to lock 'em but there is something to be said for keeping it simple.

What the fuck is up with the elitist attitude on this site? :bow: Everybody is an expert these days it seems, all too willing to put a curious guy in his "place." Now I understand the genisis of the joke:

Q. What is the difference between a snowboard instructor and a snowboard student?
A. 3 days!

By the way the only way a splitter gets down a legit double black in ski mode is head over heels so that comment is self aggrandizing crap.

You do not need to reach some skill benchmark to venture into the B.C., just pick a line that matches your ability and be avy prepared. And if you want to start in hardboots do it there is no secret method you learn in softies you cant figure out in stiffies.

I think I was better off as a beginning splitter without these forums to oppress my enthusiasm.

Have a nice day :guinness: