Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Driver X Warning
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:54 am 

I ran the 2010 Driver Xs last year and they completely packed out in 5 days. I was wondering what was going on so I compared them to the 2009 Burton Driver Xs and they are not nearly as stiff. I just checked out the 2011 Drivers (hoping that Burton would have brought back the same quality as the 2009 Drivers) and they are even less stiff then the "wet noodle like" 2010 Drivers. Burton has turned a hard core freeride boot into some flexy piece of crap park boot. Just wanted to give all of the splitters out there a warning, in case you're looking for a stiff backcountry boot, to think twice about the Burton Driver X. It's not the boot it once was.

I'm looking for an alternate boot that would be good for splitting/steep gnarlyness. Any suggestions? What boots are you running out there in split land? I know the Sal Malamutes are solid but what about the Vans Cirros?

Post subject: Re: Burton Driver X Warning
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:30 am 

I like the Rome "Folsom" boot. Pretty stiff with traditional laces. I put in better insoles and leave em loose while touring. The sole could be beefier, but I do like my foot as close to the board as possible, and I think with a mountaineering sole it would adversly affect the ride down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:43 pm 

Brutal, that really sucks. I was going to pick up some new Drivers to replace my 2009 Drivers, but if this is true I may have to switch to the Malmutes.

Quote:
...in case you're looking for a stiff backcountry boot, to think twice about the Burton Driver X. It's not the boot it once was.

Anyone riding the 2010 or 2011 Drivers have the same opinion?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:03 pm 

mrash wrote:
Brutal, that really sucks. I was going to pick up some new Drivers to replace my 2009 Drivers, but if this is true I may have to switch to the Malmutes.

Quote:
...in case you're looking for a stiff backcountry boot, to think twice about the Burton Driver X. It's not the boot it once was.

Anyone riding the 2010 or 2011 Drivers have the same opinion?

I've been using them for a few years and, while they have gotten a little softer after the 2008/09 season, they're obviously not "flexy piece of crap park boots."

I'm not married to Burton stuff or anything - I just really prefer the Driver Xs over the other stiff softboots on the market (even if they are getting a little softer). I seriously considered the Malamutes a couple times in the last couple years but I just didn't like the feel of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:03 pm 

Got the 2010s last February to replace 09 version. They are definitely a bit softer, but I wouldn't put them fully at the other end of the spectrum either. A quicker break in, and a quicker break down, maybe...got about 25 days on them now and they're a great all around boot that's still stiffer than a lot of what's available. Hoping (and expecting) them to last through another 70-80 day year, maybe have to replace in the spring...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 pm 

I rode the same pair of Saloman F2s (2007 model) for the past two seasons and am still pleased with their stiffness. I plan to continue riding them at least through this season as well.

They are very lightweight boots and are comfortable. They come with some superfluous stuff sewn/attached to them that is easy to remove for weight. They do not have removable liners however which is a definite setback for people doing multi-day excursions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm 

I just got rid of my 2010 Burton Driver Xs and I'm riding my 2009. The 2009 are still stiff after 2 years and, seriously, the 2010s are wet noodles. Be warned!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:42 am 

Love my Driver X 2009, my previous Driver X's years and year old were literally bullet proof, had Kevlar in em, they were super stiff too and lasted for yonks. i am going to take care not to go with the new Drivers, so thanks for the warning.
:thatrocks:

Venture Storm-R 161, Spark R&D Blaze, Burton Driver X boots, ABS Avy 15/30L backpack, Avalung, Mammut Pulse Avy Beacon, BCA carbon probe. Solid board = Burton T6 159 ICS Ferrari Red, Burton C60 EST Bindings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 am 

I think some of you might be stoked to learn that Burton has brought back the RAF Tongue Insert from years past to stiffen up the driver x.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 am 

I was at REI last night so I decided to try on the malamutes and the Driver x's at the same time for a comparison. I can definitely see how either boot would be an improvement over my Burton Rulers. The Malamutes had a much stiffer feel to them. I was able to flex the Drivers much more. However I didn't use the j-hook inserts on the malamutes or the tongue inserts on the drivers and compare them in stiff mode.

The Malamutes have a roomier toebox (I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing). But I really liked the ankle strap built into the shell that holds the internal liner and my heel. down and in place. On the Burtons I like how they have the dual zone lacing so you can tighten the lower portion independently from the upper. All in all, if I had to buy a pair of boots right now I probably would have gone with the malamutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 am 

gnarshredder wrote:
I'm looking for an alternate boot that would be good for splitting/steep gnarlyness. Any suggestions? What boots are you running out there in split land? I know the Sal Malamutes are solid but what about the Vans Cirros?

I have already agreed that the new Drivers suck in comparison to the the '09s. Much less stiff and look like they will break down even faster.

I did try the Vans Cirros. They were pretty nice but didn't fit my foot well. They are also very heavy even in comparison to the Driver Xs. REI at one point had them at 50% off for last years model. Check them out if they had fit my foot better and weren't lead bricks I'd have bought them in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:58 pm 

I bought a new set of 09 Driver Xs last year on close out. They are still skiboot stiff. Great boots.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:38 am 

Hey gnarshredder!

Did you use that "torque tongue" at yours 2011 driver boots? Or did you just check those boots at shop?