Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Black diamond touring boots
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:52 pm 

Hello other Prime owners,

I'm on my third season on the Primes size 29.5. My style is snowboarding big mountain freeriding mainly in at area resorts in montana and all in bounds except for short hikes to fun shots. I don't tour with them though I'd love to if I had all that gear. They are mated to Bomber TD3 Standard bindings mounted on an all-mountain 170cm Arbor about 4 years old. I love the bindings and they are truly bomber and made in the USA.

coming from my previous set up using older randonee boots, the Primes are light and the toe box area is ample. When friends hold these boots they are amzed how light they are. And There is no need to cram you toes into boots with these. I have sorta flat feet and I replaced the foot bed but I like the boa liner. No issues and the kevlar (not dental floss) is holding up well.

I snowboard with them in walk mode and totally loose on the buckles and no mods. I'd like to mod but I'm not sure how to do it or if it's worth if for my style. the set up is soft enough for deep powder, rigid enough for carving groomers (and these boots have nearly zero toe drag even with my size 13 feet), and progressively firm enough to drop 40+ degree chutes all day. One thing that's nice about using touring boots for snowboarding instead of traditional snowboard soft boots is the plastic boot is much shorter in overall length, width, profile etc. And even with the metal bindings, long board and plastic boots, the overall weight of my total setup is consistently the same as my friends.

Snowboarding with a touring boot i'm was looking for just about the softest flex I could find with a wide toe box and footbed, but still low volume across the top. These are comfortable all day long and have many adjustments in flex across the top to the bottom. The 3 buckle setup is provides excellent support.

I may remove the entire forward lean lock mechanism since I never use it and maybe even remove the upper power strap.

Enjoy the rest of you winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:08 pm 

I put in my biggest day yet on the Primes yesterday and had some issues with them. Since the last time I was out on them I cut out some of the forward lean bar to allow more forward flex but did not cut out any of the forward lean (if that makes sense). I'm happy with the forward lean angle. I feel like the boots might have too much ramp angle in them but that's an issue to be tackled later.

My big issue yesterday was with the inside of my left knee. I have the cant angle of the ankle set all the way to the max medial setting thinking that it would help with a more natural riding position but I think that ended up putting extra pressure on my knee. By the end of a 5000' day I was at the point where I'd rather carry my board and boot pack up the last bit than skin up it.

I'll change the cant angle and hope that it takes care of my issue.

I'd also like to figure out a way to get a bit more medial flex in the ankle without losing the solid edging ability when I'm traversing. I'm not sure where to start cutting to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm 

alright, i finally took pictures of my boots!

lots of plastic removed

lower cuff that can dig into your shin- cut slits here for more flex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm 

Thanks for the pictures CB. That helps a lot to see where you cut the grooves in the lower shell.
:guinness: Are you going to be at the Baker Splitfest?