Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Black diamond touring boots
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:26 pm 

i have my eye on some primes as well for this season and as my first pair of hard boots and tried on last years model in a local shop a couple months ago and was blown away by out of the box fit, plus the new improvements to the liner should make for a very good stock liner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 pm 

i cut down the cuff an inch or so, removed the power strap, cut slits into the bottom shell at the ankle, removed part of the second overlap on the top buckle and i cut that triax frame dealie off and it makes for a much nicer ride

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:32 pm 

Kickass. Primes are on the short-shortlist for whenever I can get finances sorted to the point of converting to a hard boot setup. Tried them on in the shop last weekend (heh, after a 20km hike so my feet were probably oddly shaped....). Not impressed by the stock liners whatsoever. I know they're meant to be heat moulded, but seriously, the BOA system only covers the upper calf/ankle, nothing hold down on forefoot or suck in the heel other than the buckles on the shell. And it looks as though they switched from a cable to dental floss... Never have been a fan of BOA, don't think I ever will. Swapped in my Intuitions and all was good. They walked around the shop pretty well, though like what most folks have mentioned, it may take a mod or a few to get a bit more progressive rather than automatic flex out of them (or is that just new plastic boot flex?). All in all they just felt more secure, bullier, and capable than my Malamutes (not that the Malamutes suck).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:35 pm 

Hola Christoph,

Do you have any photos of the slits that you cut near the ankle? I am trying to emulate your mods on my Primes. Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

I will probably remove the Triax portion as well----but I want to assess the other mods before I move forward with that operation.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:41 am 

I'm a big fan of the Primes and completely recommend them. However, having spent a season on the Primes and a season on the TLT5s, I would only suggest the Primes if you can't fit into the TLT5s.

Given the narrow fit on the TLT5s, they aren't good for everyone. In my opinion, the Prime is the next best option but I may change my mind once I see the new Dynafit boots due out this winter.

Not trying to poke holes in the Primes, just saying you should try the TLT5s on first. I used both boots last year and the weight savings on the TLT5 is very noticeable on a big day. Also, the softer plastic on the TLT5 lends itself to a better ride with fewer mods.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 am 

i dont have any pictures of that mod, but if you lean the upper cuff all the way forward, you will see where the lower boot shell will impact the toeside turn flex...

and just for total disclosure, i got a super special deal on these from a black diamond rep. if it werent for that i would have got the tlt 5, f1 or those garmont rando boots. the BD's are just a bit too much boot and require a bunch of mods, for 100$ more you could get a softer, nicer boot...

although the fit of the primes is perfect for splitting (at least for me) with a deep heel pocket and plenty of forefoot space.

primes are heavy...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:53 pm 

Thanks Christoph, I will see what I can sort out. However, if you have any spare time in the next few weeks, a picture would be appreciated, I would feel way more comfortable knowing what I was aiming for with the slits before I take the oscillating tool to the boots. The other mods are relatively easy to implement.

I may end up getting some Dynafit Ones--I can't fit in the TLT5s due to some foot issues---but I was hoping to give the Primes mods my best shot before moving on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:10 am 

Can anyone compare the fit of the Prime and the TLT5 in the midfoot area? At the ball of the foot the TLT5 felt very comfortable bordering on too loose but I have terribly flat feet and the arch of my foot did not fit into the TLT5 very comfortably. I need to talk to a local boot fitter to find out if that is something that can be adjusted or if I'm just out of luck.

My other question is related to the length. I know I fit a TLT5 in a 28.5 and that has the same shell and liner as the 28 just with a change in insole thickness. Is it the same shell size and liner size pairing with the Prime? I don't have anywhere nearby to try the Primes on so I might give it a chance and order them online.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 am 

the bd fit is a bit particular.

narrow heel and fairly wide across the forefoot.

unless they fixed the it dont buy on the whole size from bd. the liners are too small for the shell and you can feel the liners slipping inside the boot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 pm 

PSA: BD Primes are on a super sale at Department of Goods.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/black- ... ns-bld1209

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:08 pm 

They're on sale at gearx.com too, I just ordered a set last night. Wish me luck, I haven't ridden in plate binding since I was 13.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 pm 

I have 4 or 5 days of touring in the Primes now and one day riding a solid in the resort before I ducked the ropes. The only thing that I have done to them is some light sanding around the edge of the upper shell at the heal to reduce the drag in walk mode and removing the power strap. I can do methods, back 3's, and switch pow turns in them comfortably the way that they are but I'll start to look at ways to soften them up. Pictures of the slits cut into the lower would be appreciated. I see where the upper runs into the lower on toe side turns and while walking and will look at the triax frame removal too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:19 pm 

my aplologies for not posting the pictures of that lower shell mod, i will post them up here soon.