Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My curmudgeonly thoughts on hardboots
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:16 pm 

96avs01 wrote:
I still lie in the ultra-minority...those that ride mountaineering boots. But will likely convert to HBs in the coming seasons. If anyone can hook up a Scarpa Term-X review, that would rock as I can get a wholesale price purchase. TIA

I've been wanting the TX scarpas for a couple years but haven't had the $$, so haven't been on'em myself.
I'd prefer the older 3 buckle TX (over the new stiffer TX pro) as they were the same boot as the F3 with the NTN sole. step in to teles, step in to ATs, step in to snow board all with the same boot :drool:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:07 pm 

b0ardski wrote:
... a slider plate that will mount the bails directly to the side of the plate resulting in the lowest stand height possible with less weight...
When this^ is available it may tip the scales for me to try the hard boot setup. I feel like that day may be approaching.

Misc hard boot questions:

1. Some hardboots like the Scarpa F1 have bellows in the toebox. Others like the TLT 4 do not. I imagine that for splitting we do not want bellows in the toebox. Or does this matter?

2. Has anyone tried the Garmont MasterLite boots for splitboarding? THey seem a fair bit lighter but also more cost than F1 or TLT 4.

3. There are some SUPERlight carbon fiber hardboots ($$$) out there too. Anyone tried them? If so, have they held up to alpine use? I'm scared they could crack kicking steps or something, as these boots are more made for racing than mtneering.

THnaks for any feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:37 pm 

The bellows is there to allow a more natural flex for the foot for walking/hiking and touring, or telemarking. It does make the toe of the boot less rigid for kicking steps in steep hardpack and slightly softer laterally when traversing in tour mode but I believe the benefits far outway any slight loss of rigidity unless your ice cimbing.

Light is always good but you pay $$ for it.

I think strategic use of carbon with soft and stiff plastics in the right locations of the boot is whats happening now in rando & tele boots to cut weight & improve flex patterns.

Boots are where we have the most to gain from innovation.
Just like molded liners becoming the norm.