Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard boots softer than Soft boots!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:20 pm 

Due to high avy danger I got in a rare resort day last week. I did not have a solid board mounted up with plates, so I ended up riding with my Burton Driver X Soft boots; it has been awhile!
The revelation was that currently my Hard boots are actually softer than the Driver Xs! The mods to my Dynafits have really payed off, and now they ride better than my Driver Xs, I was really surprised at the difference, and really did not enjoy wearing the Driver Xs during this rare lift day.

So, do not think that Hard boots have to be stiffer than Soft!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post subject: Re: Hard boots softer than Soft boots!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:39 pm 

Hey Barrows,

Wanna post some pics of your modded Zero's?

After all this time I want to see your shiz!

Cheers,

Russmancalot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:02 pm 

But you can't get steezy in hard boots! :drool: :bananas: :disco: :D :( :) :cry: :o :shock: :thatrocks: :thumpsup: :roll: :oops: :x :lol: 8) :scratch: :? :headbang: :rock: :thumbsdown: :banghead: :thumbsup: :bow: :clap: :guinness: :doobie: :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:33 am 

Hey Barrows, how's the new setup coming along? Getting a little antsy to see how those plates worked out for you. And please post pics of the boot mods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:32 am 

I find posting pics here a little cumbersome. I am on dial up at home, so it really just takes too much time to deal. Maybe I'll try and put some pics together over Chritmas while I am at my families place with broadband.
The boots really do not look radical anyway, just Dynafit Zzero 3s with the lower buckle removed, a Scarpa touring tongue, trimmed shells, and the forward lean mod (same as in the recent Garmont thread). You cannot really see the trimming on the shells in pics, unless you have an untrimmed boot for comparison. Every boot is different, so the way I have modded these boots (besides the forward lean) may not work the same on other boots-one really just has to get creative, and make changes slowly, one at a time, to achieve the feel one is looking for.
Ken-I have not done anything with the plates yet, they are really pretty heavy, so I want to have a local shop thin them out to around .125" before working with them. I'll let you know when I get around to it...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:09 pm 

BGnight wrote:
But you can't get steezy in hard boots! :drool: :bananas: :disco: :D :( :) :cry: :o :shock: :thatrocks: :thumpsup: :roll: :oops: :x :lol: 8) :scratch: :? :headbang: :rock: :thumbsdown: :banghead: :thumbsup: :bow: :clap: :guinness: :doobie: :twocents:

Can anyone come up with a photo of a hardbooter doing a super tweaked method?

Hardboots also make it extremely difficult for me to wear my knee length cotton basketball jersey... The colors just don't match real good..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 pm 

[url]http://snowboarding.transworld.net/1000092536/photos/transworld-snowboarding-march-1991/][/url]

Not quite a method but he could tweak the iguana backflips like nobody's business

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:04 am 

About 21 years ago I mutilated my left foot in a skateboard accident. After three months in a cast I was ready to get back on the snowboard but my late 1980's soft boots and bindings were torture on my newly mutilated foot. I was able to score some used pink Koflach hard boots (remember Damian Sanders?) on the cheep and a friend gave me some old Burton plate bindings and my oddesy began. I quickly learned that with a few mods you can dial in a hard boot to your riding style and achieve unbelievable control and comfort as well as being able to ride redicularge boards to maximize your time in the pow. I continue to be amazed at the things that hard boots allow me to do on a snowboard. Now if someone would just make an actual snowboard hard boot like they used to in the good old days I would be stoked!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:26 pm 

foolishrider wrote:
About 21 years ago I mutilated my left foot in a skateboard accident. After three months in a cast I was ready to get back on the snowboard but my late 1980's soft boots and bindings were torture on my newly mutilated foot. I was able to score some used pink Koflach hard boots (remember Damian Sanders?) on the cheep and a friend gave me some old Burton plate bindings and my oddesy began. I quickly learned that with a few mods you can dial in a hard boot to your riding style and achieve unbelievable control and comfort as well as being able to ride redicularge boards to maximize your time in the pow. I continue to be amazed at the things that hard boots allow me to do on a snowboard. Now if someone would just make an actual snowboard hard boot like they used to in the good old days I would be stoked!

Send some spay to Jeremy Jones... He has some really cool ideas about a hardboot!