Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AT boots: need suggestions, advises.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 am 

Could you suggest me a most lightweight alpine touring boots for backcountry and curving? Some years ago I rode alpine ski and got knee's complex injuries. A pair of seasons was left for healing. Then I start to ride snowboard and find it more funny! By present time I use soft boots.. Now my interests in snowboarding is backountry, skinning and curving in the groomer, and I going to buy hardboots.. May I hope to find one pair of alpine touring boots which appropriate for all these activities or it's a stupid idea? My left knee still pain a little bit and I would like to find a most lightweight boots..
PS: I have a narrow foot.
PPS: Sorry for my bad English.

Post subject: Re: AT boots: need suggestions, advises.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:40 am 

Narrow foot, look at Garmont boots. They tend to be on the narrow side. I have 2 buddies who ride in MegaRides and really like them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:21 am 

I love my Scarpa F1 s . They are a great liht boot. Remember fit is the most important part of it. Go and try on as many boots as you can. Walk around the store ,and really try them on. Try to different boots on to compare ,and tehn switch to the opposite foot. Next is weight. Rememeber ,that you might want super light boots for the tour up. My boots only have 2 buckles ,and one power strap. Othere At boots have so many buckles. In my opininon you don t need a lot of buckles for Carving and or Splitboarding...

Merry shopping.. .

Watch ebay for boots, I got mine on an amazing deal ...

:thumpsup:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:41 pm 

In the backcountry, I ride and really love modified Scarpa F1s. Inbounds, on groomer days, I carve with hardboots and an alpine board. I do not think that the F1s would be good for that. They are very lightweight, but if you are trying to carve on an alpine deck, I doubt they are substantial enough. They might power a freeride board typically ridden with softboots though.

Speaking specifically of carving on alpine decks, I know of two people using the Garmont Megarides. One of them is also a splitboarder and uses them in the BC as well. So if you don't mind a stiffer feel on the decent, that could be an option. I am not aware of any other carvers on any other AT boots.

Personally, I think a dedicated hardboot for carving and a modified (softened) AT boot for splitboarding is the way to go. For me, the AT boots for the split board are for the ascent. The ride down is good enough, but I would prefer softboots for that. I ride softboots for inbounds powder days.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 pm 

Thanks for your opinions!
It's hard to make decision..
All friends of mine told me that I need to get two pair of boots which will use separately for backcountry and groomer. Because universal things is usually a compromise..
Scarpa F1 looks sick! Pretty lightweight and don't too expensive on ebay..
Garmont Megaride looks rock but seems to me too heavy..
Thanks again!

BTW, one buddy uses AT boots in 'walk' mode with swallowtail board when powderday happens and he's absolutely happy...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm 

powder devourer wrote:
BTW, one buddy uses AT boots in 'walk' mode with swallowtail board when powderday happens and he's absolutely happy...
I ride in WALK mode in most all conditions except really super steep, firm or funky (sastrugi, etc...).