Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ankle pain
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 pm 

i ride malamutes.

last year i started having some pain in my ankle during the spring. the pain is ontop of the foot, right were the ankle strap goes over the boot. it feels as if the strap is far to tight and is digging in to the ankle.

i started swapping around my bindnings (rome targa, flux titan, some old ride binding maybe lx)to see if it was a binding problem but i felt it on all of them.

i thought it was because it had been a long season (120+ days) and my ankle were just tired and beat up so if i rested during the summer it would be ok.

i was setting up a pair of bindings (k2 auto) today on the kitchen and i immediately felt the pain again when i tried strapping in for some carpet jibbing.

so... is it the boots? i mean my mute's are pretty beat up and quite soft. could it be that as the season wore on i broke them down the binding started to dig in? should i get new ones or do you think its some other problem?

i know diagnosing over the net is stupid but has anyone felt something similar?

Post subject: Re: ankle pain
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 pm 

Can you get the pain to come back at any time when you aren't strapped in? A PT should be able to palpate and figure out what structure(s) are being irritated.. Then you can decide whether or not it really is boots. Maybe you have a soft tissue injury that needs some attention (like the extensor digitorum tendons, dorsal compartment hood facia etc...).

Good luck with it man!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:35 pm 

Ankle pain is no fun, mine is broken at the moment. 2 weeks in 4 more to go :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:12 pm 

neilprovo wrote:
Ankle pain is no fun, mine is broken at the moment. 2 weeks in 4 more to go :thumpsup:

Super Ghey :thumbsdown: :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:14 am 

ok, back from first weekend on the slopes.

tried to tough it out during the first day, changed my stance, tried riding more upright... etc, nothing helped.

i gave in on the second day and bought new pair, huge improvement. it still hurts a bit when i'm on the toe-edge and riding through some chop, but its more of a dull pain instead of the sharp stabbing pain i had before.

i'm going on a three week road trip with some friends next week. i wonder if i can do something more to stop it from coming back? like exercising the calves or something?..

edit: and thanks for the help, i will look into it. i think its something soft fiberish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:53 am 

blunder wrote:
ok, back from first weekend on the slopes.

tried to tough it out during the first day, changed my stance, tried riding more upright... etc, nothing helped.

i gave in on the second day and bought new pair, huge improvement. it still hurts a bit when i'm on the toe-edge and riding through some chop, but its more of a dull pain instead of the sharp stabbing pain i had before.

i'm going on a three week road trip with some friends next week. i wonder if i can do something more to stop it from coming back? like exercising the calves or something?..

edit: and thanks for the help, i will look into it. i think its something soft fiberish

I study biomechanics and exercise physiology. First, best recomendation would be to see a PT. Second, I would try strengthening my tibialis anterior. As snowboarders we tend to have overdeveloped ankle plantar flexors in relation to our dorsiflexors. So it is logical that over use injuries happen. Try putting running does on and walk around for 10 minutes a day trying to keep your toes off the ground, just walking on your heels. It's called the duck walk, and should help...

Did you buy new Mamutes? Those boots freaken KILL my feet...