Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Run Down for best AT boot for splitboarding
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:08 am 

Buell, no problems with clearance of the F2 toe bail on the F1's?

I test fit my Megarides into my Bomber TD2's (same bails as their split bindings I'm told) and cannot close the toe bail because of the wide shell/Dynafit pin holes.

Just to clarify, the F2 toe and heel pieces are direct mount? no modifying the slider track?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:44 pm 

No issues with the toe bail fit for the F2s with the F1s. I did about 6000 vert in them last weekend, no problems at all. I do not know about other boots. It seems I have heard something about wider TD2 bails available for some boots? I think you have to ask.

I know a couple of guys in Tahoe who carve in Megarides. I think they are on F2s. One of them splits as well in the Megarides, but I do not know what his binding set up is for that.

No mods at all required to mount the F2 toe and heel pieces to the slider plate. One note though, if you have bigger feet (>28 mondo?), this may not work for you. With the toe and heel pieces mounted in the most outside holes on the slider plate, you can only adjust the binding to fit so large of a boot. I don't think it is that large. I wear a 25 mondo and there is still room to go bigger.

There are only 2 screws per heel or toe piece, but they seem plenty stable (the Voile toe piece only has two screws). I couldn't believe that they bolt right down. I had to get different length screws since F2 parts are sacred. I also cut down the Voile rubber gasket to place between the slider plate and the heel and toe piece. Otherwise, you will need to grind down the 'v' channel on the bottom of the toe and heel pieces. I was not ready to do that. With different length screws, you can also use the F2 lifts and cants.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:43 pm 

Nice, I will look into getting a set of F2's!

I already talked to Bomber about the width of their bails. I will ask again about wider ones though.

Thanks for the thorough reply.

:thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:33 am 

Bomber splitboard bindings come with a wider bail set for the toe. You can order the wider bail option for the TD series binding as an option. My Dynafit boots fit fine with them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:24 pm 

blew out a rivet on the pivot point of my Zzero today. dont know if the softer tongue (re: last post) had any thing to do with it, as it looks like the same one is going on the other boot.

no big deal, boots are a couple seasons old...

back to the soft boots for a few days till I get the AT boots fixed. one more reason i dig the spark adapter plates. 10min change over.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:28 pm 

I have the F 1 s and I love them. Your compromising goes by the way side after a few beautiful runs, and you ll never go back to soft boots at the ski area as well. The turn becomes more familiar, and you ll want to find that perfection in that next boot as you did in the soft.

It s definitely different , but so wonderfully different... :bow:

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:24 pm 

I"m still straddling the fence.

I've got TLT's, and they go up a 1000 times better than my HB clicker set-up, but the ride down...I'm still getting used to.

I just wrote a detailed review if you're interested.

I'd still like more info on how to modify TLT's (if there is any) to give a better ride

-MooseDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:50 pm 

gotta foto of my lasers here now
i like em alot. i drilled another hole in the walk/ski bar, for more fwd lean, and im getting used to the fear in ski mode, its all good.
had my first full resort day of the season and im fully over soft boots. sure the jibbin is fun but i guess i got high arches and im a pussy but those strap bindings are brutal on my feet. jus need another pair of plates. michelle at bomber told me the wide toe bails arent available on the td3s...
an the thing bout jibbin in plastic boots is just that ya gotta go bigger, more time to reach that much further and pull it back to the tweak, no big deel, big air is better, always has always will

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:35 am 

karkis wrote:
i got high arches and im a pussy but those strap bindings are brutal on my feet.

you ever try a proper orthopedic foot bed. I know the bare foot revolution is going on in running, but I went years with foot pain. soft boots killing me, bone spurs on the top of my feet from the heal strap. when i started rocking foot beds my feet feet relaxed so much they grew a size. no more foot pain, even in soft boots (as long as I'm not hiking in them, my feet still get tired touring in soft boots). plus I gained that end of the day quick first step while popping seadlings in the ground. they payed them selves off in a shift.

whats the fit like in those scarpas compared to to dynafits?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:38 am 

no never had a propah foot bed. probly oughtta chek it but im actually using the same liners n insoles from my soft boots in those scarpas and its super comf (i was using the dirty ol liners that came with the boots till i got a soaker in the sillyillywhat and the funk started to rise up). so im jus gonna burn my ol soft outers n call it good... as soon as i find some plates for my hill rig.

i guess the scarpas fit a bit wider generally but its a smaller shell size (28.5-29 i think) than my dynafits (29-30.5) and it feels more or less same same, a bit roomier maybe. the shell size makes a big diff for me tho, cuz the spark adapters for the heel dont put the wire quite far enuf back for my dynafit shells, sometimes they get bumped down by the boot heel, super annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm 

this is a god quastion - the best boot for all mountin condition .... a tour is 80% UPHILL
20% ride dow time ..... on ice condition i walk with an old dynafit boot - and 3 pice board....
on powderday 2 pice board and burton driver x....
an boot for all time s ?????? i never found ist because years ago i had an nitro mirage....

this is a old nitro mirage clicker boot .... he is the best mix - because to havy ....

2003Deelux Tourspart Nt was a sooftboot (stiffy) with Dynafit Iron holes ......
This time 2003you can bay it, as a set of Kneissel with shortski....
To day is no sooftboot on market with dynafit iron holes ......

Burton