Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Driver X lace issue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:35 pm 

I'm starting my second season in my '08 Drivers and my back foot boot's bottom lace sheath has been cut through. I know it's from resting my board on the top of my foot on lifts and the metal edge chewing up the top of that boot. Time to pick up new laces and put them in!

[quote= "osubg1"]You have to be extra careful to pull them tight first, then pull them back into the lace holders. I don't know if I've described this perfectly[/quote]

No I follow you on this and can understand how this would eat up the laces faster.

I also agree that it would suck if your laces failed and could be REALLY bad on some more committing stuff. Overall I figure I can always use some of the cord and the voile strap I carry to limp back to safety. Otherwise I'd be replacing suspect laces and carrying spares for those must not fail situations!

:twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:57 am 

Just a follow-up: 3rd season with 82 days in them for 09/10, and no lace failures. Although, I did replace one because I got tired of dicking with a bunched up sheath when taking them on/off.

As far a safety goes, if you're worried about a lace breaking on these and having it be a safety concern or compromising your tour, you really should be looking at the bigger picture and re-asses how prepared you are to be (and improvise) in the backcountry. Hell, I broke a binding at the start of a tour last season, made a fix with what was in my pack, and we still got an awesome 8 hour tour bagged in some very remote wilderness- with no further problems (I absolutely went to the ski shop to get proper parts to correctly fix the binding the next day though.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 am 

Zip ties, voile straps, bailing wire and duct tape. Check!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:15 am 

HikeforTurns wrote:
Zip ties, voile straps, bailing wire and duct tape. Check!

^Exactly, and ditto. In addition I carry a few screws/nuts since someone always seems to lose one every now and then.