Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garmont Megarides
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:19 am 

I know many of you ride Megarides but I thought I would post my first impressions of the boots. This may seem like more of a TR than a review but here it goes.

Here is what surprised me the most after purchasing these boots. I threw them on the scale and they weighed 7.2 pounds (size 26.5). My malamutes, also 26.5 weigh in at 5.2. In hand they don't feel that much different. Overall weight savings was 3.2 pounds of hard boot joy.

These boots felt really good in the shop even before molding. After molding they felt that much better.

I set out this morning to skin up our town hill, Snow King, as they have been making snow like mad and recently been linking snow piles higher and higher up the hill. I buckled the 2 lower buckles snug, the upper 2 on the outer most bail, and the boots in walk mode. Up I went. These things are so sweet in comparison to my Malamute/Ride EX combo. Comfort was surperb as I didn't feel constricted in my movements like I have felt with the soft boot set up.

Sadly my luck ran out after only a couple hundred vertical feet and I transitioned to head back down. I buckled the upper to buckles snug and left the boots in walk mode. Being my first time on the board this season and with a foreign setup things felt good. The first couple of turns felt a bit restrictive but further down things felt natural and not so foreign.

I'm really stoked to get out on these more if mother nature will provide us with some love. I think these boots will making splitboarding in that much more fun.

Post subject: Re: 1st ride report on Garmont Megarides
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 pm 

Just wait til you get a full day in the "park" with them. You'll wonder why splitboarders still use soft boots at all. :thumpsup: . You will really appreciate them when it comes time to sidehill on the pass.

Post subject: Re: 1st ride report on Garmont Megarides
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:52 am 

this is my second season on my megarides and the are sweet. However they were a bit stiff especially on heel side turns, etc. As such i cut off the top buckle and left the liner and cuff full height...AMAZING now i am really in love with my setup... stiff when i need it and loose when I dont. They do all things great.

Smart choice on the Megarides!!

Post subject: Re: Garmont Megarides
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:00 pm 

I have yet to find these boots too stiff when I want them buckled. As I get out more and more I see tons of people skiing these boots. Makes me tha more reassured of my purchase.

Cheers

PS - riding the 25" in 48 hrs didn't suck today.