Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PSA: K2 T1 (and DB) boots with vibram soles (large pics)
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:06 pm 

I know the people on here riding softboots like to have vibram soles, and I can´t blame you. Just discovered K2´s top end boots will have Vibram soles at least from next season and on. I´ve never worn these myself, but they do sport cookable intuition liners, and supposedly fit many types of feet.

I do have a couple of buddies riding these, and the general consensus is that they´re like sex for your feet once you get them fitted right. The stock footbeds aren´t anything to rave about, they say, but this shouldn´t be a hindrance for you. I´m considering them myself, but I do like how my f22s fit me, and will ride them till they fall apart.

Pictures borrowed from shayboarder.com (blogsite)
direct link to the article on the boots:
http://www.shayboarder.com/2008/04/k2-b ... -2009.html

K2 T1 DB:

K2 T1:

Seems like they didn´t put vibram on any of their women´s boots, unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:31 pm 

I've been using this boot this season and I have to say I really dig it. It's kind of medium-stiff. Great for backcountry but not crazy. The best thing is the boa system for the liner. The liner (which is removable) slides through a harness system that you tighten with the boa system. It's rad because you can tighten the liner without unlacing the outer boot!! They are comfy boots as well.

As for the vibram sole... I'm starting to get the feeling that vibram will stamp their logo on the bottom of any boot they get paid for. The sole on the T1 isn't better than any other snowboard boot. You'll still feel every rock you step on. Although there is a modded T1 out there with a real vibram sole - I'll post some pics soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:02 am 

I prefer Burton's Dual Zone lacing over the BOA system, it just feels more natural to me. I'll also add that I could definitely tell a difference in performance and grip (on snow and rock) with the Vibram sole on the Burton Serows. The sole is way better than a regular snowboard boot in terms of grip and the durability looks to be improved too. I usually tear my non-vibram boots to shreds in the spring. These ones seem to be holding up nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:37 am 

bcrider wrote:
I prefer Burton's Dual Zone lacing over the BOA system

x2

Also like Salomon's lacing options.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:52 pm 

Saly lacing rules. I really don´t love Boa. Easier to distribute pressure with the Salomons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:17 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
I've been using this boot this season and I have to say I really dig it.

Do your T1s have the Intuition liners? If so are they significantly warmer than boots you have used previously?

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:15 am 

Intuition liners are generally a lot warmer than other liners, but tend to get moister than, say, Salomon´s fusion liners, which although not very warm, they breathe a bit. I´ve used Intuitions in pretty much all my ski- and snowboard boots the past 5-6 years (started snowboarding in 2004 after skiing since the age of 2, now 22)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:20 pm 

They have intuition liners with dee-luxe faux fur lining around the top.

So far they've been great, temp-wise. But my feet tend to stay comfortable in general (no circulation or excessive sweating probs for me.) My feet were soaked at the end of the Klamath trip, but that was after 3 days in wet snow, high temps, and a 5 mile boot pack out. Other than that they've been great for me so far, including several long hikes. I Haven't had them out in extreme cold yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:02 pm 

I bought these boots late last season and have ridden them about 50 days mixed BC/and resort riding.

I actually own AT boots, but decided after trying to ride those for 3 days or so that if I'm wearing boots that stiff I may as well ski!

These boots are the first I've had that have a vibram sole, and while I don't have the experience SF has I think the soles are pretty bomber. Hiking considerable scree/talus around mt. shasta a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have a single problem with the soles...furthermore, the soles felt stiff enough (though i'm wondering if any Driver X owners have info for me...) to crampon with strap crampons very well. The Driver Xs seem to be abundant late season deals right now, while this boot is kind of hard to find.

Regarding the intuition liner, I'm not as impressed as others seem to be...no question that this boot felt like "sex for your feet" right out of the box, but after a season of hiking/touring and riding, I feel like my liners are kind of packed out and broken down...anyone know if I can replace them?

Also, I hope someone who's ridden, hiked (crampon etc) in both these T1s and the Driver Xs could tell me what they thought about them (comparison).

Cheers.

One other thing for people who have tried both...how do the T1s and the driver xs stack up (info on serows would be appreciated too) weight wise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:10 pm 

Intuition liners can be bought and paid for. On TGR, you can search for Intuition group buy (in tech talk or gear swap, maybe even both), and you´ll find, with just a bit of luck, the contact details for Intuition in Canada.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 am 

arild wrote:
Intuition liners can be bought and paid for. On TGR, you can search for Intuition group buy (in tech talk or gear swap, maybe even both), and you´ll find, with just a bit of luck, the contact details for Intuition in Canada.

Good luck!

tks arild,

I'm off to lurk TGR some more!!! Great site, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ongoing debates last couple of years regarding Ivanic/Dawson/Davenport/Crossen et al... :-)

Post subject: Re: PSA: K2 T1 (and DB) boots with vibram soles (large pics)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:03 am 

I have had two pairs of these boots and logged 70+ days on the first pair. I have been riding since 1989 and the Double Boa system on these k2's is simply amazing...they just started to shred and fall apart a bit after ..like i said 70 days...but these are the best fitting boots i have EVER had in 19 years.

if you have the cash (299) they are worth every cent. I get Burton gear at proform and still pay retail for these boots.

Post subject: Re: PSA: K2 T1 (and DB) boots with vibram soles (large pics)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 am 

My T1s have developed a problem after about 45 days of BC use. These boots have an internal harness for a BOA system that tightens the boot liner. The internal BOA cable on the right boot has started cutting into my ankle and achilles when I lift my foot. Mostly while skinning, with the weight of the ski pulling the boot down. It's irritating after about a mile & and a world of exquisite pain after 9 miles. I think I may have to cut the BOA harness out of the boot if I'm gonna keep using it.