Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Malamutes vs. Driver X, vs Serows {before oct 31)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:21 am 

I need new boots this season, I traditionally ride very stiff boots for balls out speed, I like catching air but never do any real tricks, I need a boot that works well with the spliter and at the resort. I've had my eye on the malamutes and driver X for a couple of seasons. But just saw the Serows dirt cheap ($100 less then the others with 20% discounts applied).

Any info on these three boots, reviews, etc. for some one with flintsone feet (flat and fat).

Post subject: Re: Malamutes vs. Driver X, vs Serows {before oct 31)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:17 pm 

I've used the Driver X but its too stiff for my liking. Its almost as stiff as a hardboot imo. I used the Serows all last year and really liked them. Much softer flex and the Vibram sole is nice. I did put in a better liner from last years SL9 and I did thrash them pretty good during spring and summer riding where there was a lot of dry trail walking and granite hopping.

Haven't used the Malamutes but I know lots of people like them.

Good luck and enjoy! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:04 pm 

After trying on a bunch of boots this summer, I'm becoming convinced that fitting a snowboard boot is just as tough as hiking boots, and almost as bad as ski boots. I would've loved to use my shop employee discount to pick up some flow boots this past summer, but they just *do not* fit my feet. I'd strongly recommend you try them on, and buy the one that fits the best, and that you can afford... just my :twocents:

Best Luck,
Shep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:44 pm 

Definatly try them on and see which ones fit best. I have used the Driver X, and found them to be very stiff out of the box. I tried to break them in by riding in them, but I did not like how they were performing (no lateral flexability). I used them exclusivly for snowmobiling for about 10-20 days and now they are fine. I like the lacing system and the soles are great for hiking. If the lacing system breaks fixing it is a definate issue, but mine and a buddys have lasted for a season and a half. If you want a really stiff boot or can wait out the break in period you will get a soild boot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:31 pm 

If you want a stiff boot, you'll like the Driver X's. I used mine last year for both splitting and resort riding. They were damn stiff at the start, and took a day or too to get broke in. Probably the stiffest boot I've ever used - this comes in handy though when donning the crampons. I love the stability they provide while skinning and riding. I use them for mostly the same things you might, charging and riding pow. They work in the park and so on for straight airs. Wouldn't want to try jibbing w/them......

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:24 pm 

I'll be on my 3rd pair of Malamutes starting this season, having picked up a new pair earlier this summer thanks to SAC... The first two pairs lasted 3+ season's each..

They are stiff, comparable to the Driver X's. They don't soften up much over time. Lacing system is solid and glove friendly. No BOA type system to break and cause use issues in the backcountry... Heat mold able liners for custom fitting, although I find they mold enough for my wacked out feet fine after a few days of solid hiking/riding... Tread is not the best on icier conditions... But they are stiff, and not too wide like many snowboard boots, so strap-on crampons seem to work pretty well when you need them.

They tend to fit me just fine... I have average length feet, but pretty flat and wide like you mentioned.. I go with my street shoe sizing and have been happy with the fit...