Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saloman Boot sizing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:36 am 

Howdy Buckaroos. I went to REI yesterday to try on some Saloman boots for the first time ever. I am thinking about a pair of malamutes because my last years Burtons Driver X's suck. So Iwent to REI to see what size I wear inSaloman. They didnt have any Malamutes so I tried on some F22's. Man thats a stiff boot. Maybe as stiff as at boots :D . Anywho it seemed the 12.5 fit the best..but thats a full shoe size larger than my Burtons or my street shoes. I had heard this is the way saloman sizes work. Those of you with Salomans...is that how your size works? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:24 am 

salomon's always seem narrow to me...

but, length wise...when i've tried them on...it's usually around 1/2 size my shoe...

i wear a 10 in some footwear..and 9.5 in others...

a whole size seems strange.

but, if they fit....go with 'em.

what's wrong with your driver x's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 am 

Two things I hate about my driver x's. #1 sinse the day I got them they have a hot spot on the inner ankle from the string/lacing system. There is a small plastic tube inside the outer boot that when you tighten it rubs the shit out of my foot. The only cure for that for me is to wear one boot a little loose. The second thing is they Leak or dont breath causeing me to have soaking wet feet at the end of the day. Then I get to sleep all night in wet liners so they wont freeze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:43 pm 

I wear a size 12 Malamute and size 12 street shoes. Sometimes 11.5 and sometimes 12.5. I have a wide foot and haven't had any trouble with my Malamutes. Best boots I've ever worn.

Glad to see you want to surf on snow again tex. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:46 pm 

yep, i wear a 10 street shoe and a 10 malamute. and yes, they are THE boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:09 pm 

Eco wrote
Quote:
Glad to see you want to surf on snow again tex

You mean cause Im looking at soft boots? I am still looking for a comfortable pair of hardboots too. But I gotta say if the Malamutes are stiffer than the F22's (which Im sure they are) I might as well be looking at hard boots cause those are some stiff fuckers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:18 pm 

Salomon's sizing is fairly accurate, but they use Mondo fit (cm length) to reference the size, so it's not unusual for the sizing to be off from what you're used to. I'm a size 11 in my Burton boots, but I'm forced into the 11.5 size with Salomon due to their Mondo sizing... there's no size 11, just 10.5 and 11.5. Due to this variation, Salomon's 12.5 size is more like a size 12.

Heads up!!! Get the Malamutes... the liners are removable! The liners on the F series boots are NOT removable. If you are doing long or multi-day riding your boot liners WILL get wet. The inability to remove the liners makes for drying a major pain. This lends to wet, uncomfortable and potentially cold boots... poor design IMO. Plus you loose any option on customizing the liners as they brake-in. Good luck. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:20 pm 

Yeah, Im looking for the Malamotes but down here there isnt a pair to be found. So I went to REI to try a saloman boot of any kind just to check size. Now I can buy with a little more confidence.
But Im still wishy washy. Hard boots, soft boots, cowboy boots ...hell I dont know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:40 pm 

TEX... You are in the Box store mecca, so check out Sport Chalet. They stock the Malamutes. You might also check Salomon's website for a dealer listing in your area. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:46 pm 

Done all that.None at Sports Chalet, Chicks :K5; Emerald City .REI Avalanche Board. Oh wait...I forgot to call Hansens

Best Saloman boot in San Diego county as of Dec 27th is the F22.
But as I said I can order online now that I know the size

But I wish someone would make a soft boot that can stay dry all day. Why is that soooooooo hard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:11 pm 

I size my Malamutes using Mondo 30, and the boots fit perfect.

Malamute Plug: I rode AT boots for a few years. Then, a couple years ago I switched to soft boots - Malamutes. Have not gone back since. They have great response and are plenty stiff. That said, I am always looking for the bargains on them. Got a pair a few weeks ago for 50 bucks..'05 model, but still a great boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:13 pm 

I wear a 9.5 in street shoes and have the 9.0 for the Malamute.

The Malamutes do pack out a bit. So if they are quite tight at the beginning it's not so bad. They pack out more than the F22 and F24 which do have no removable liners.

I am surprised to see that you go a full size over your street boot.

edit for a hijack - My left foot is quite wide and I have sometimes problems after a long hike. What softboots can you guys recommend with a wider toe box than the Malamutes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:39 pm 

I rock a 9.5 street shoe and 9.0 Malamutes. I kinda wish I would have got the 8.5 (damn the one larger foot thing).