Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TLT5 vs F1/F3 vs BD Prime
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm 

I'm wondering if anyone has a pair of the TLT5s and/or the F1/F3 and/or the BD Primes. I'm assuming the F1 is very similar to the F3, but please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I can tell, these three boots are the most common choices for HB split riders.

Does same size boots fit the same bail setup? How about the heel sole lengths? I know the TLT5 has a small profile for weight savings.

Also be curious how they compare in ride performance.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this will be a good consolidating thread of these boots

Post subject: Re: TLT5 vs F1/F3 vs BD Prime
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:57 pm 

Apparently I'm a boot whore since I've owned all of the boots you're asking about. I no longer have the F1/F3 boots but I still have the Primes and will send you some pictures tonight. Here is a brief writeup:

TLT5 Mountain - These are my favorite boots ever. They are a bit narrow for my feet so I had to boil and reshape a bit. Very light and a great walk mode. I cut down the cuff a bit and drilled out the locking mechanism to give me some more forward movement when locked in. I also increased the forward lean.

Primes - Much more volume in the foot and a better fit for me at least. The removable last made for some nice custom fit. A lot warmer than the TLT5s, for really cold days I still bust these out. They hang over the board a bit more than my TLT5s and have a generally bigger footprint. I currently use the Bomber splitboard bindings until I get my new set of Keffs and these boots fit better in those bindings. The TLT5s really do better with skinnier and narrower bails. The ankle articulation and flex aren't as good as the TLT5s which is why I prefer them over the Primes. The weight difference is noticeable over a long day. I've used crampons with both and didn't have any issues. I lowered the cuff and drilled out the locking mechanism as well.

F3s - I didn't like these at all. For me, the strap right in the middle of the boot made my forward flex in ride mode feel wierd. The boot is bigger in the heel than both the TLT5 and Primes so I had to keep the middle stap in play or it felt really sloppy. The tongue was too stiff out of the box and required some work before it felt decent. Overall, the plastic is stiffer than the other boots which hurt the surfy feel I'm trying to achieve. Probably better for someone that runs forward angles. The footprint is larger than the TLT but slightly smaller than the Primes. I was pretty happy to replace these with the Primes.

F1s - I liked these quite a bit other than the irritating locking mechanism. I've seen others on this forum do the magic cube which would be my approach if I still had these boots. The plastic flexes nice for riding and they're fairly comfortable. I had the same issue as the F3 with keeping my heel down but I was able to get it pretty well dialed in with some custom insoles. Pretty close to the same footprint as the F3s. I didn't have to lower the cuff much so I'm assuming they come lower than the F3s.

Let me know if there are any specific questions,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 pm 

^^^ :lol: I can't believe you have all of the boots listed above.. you really are a boot whore...

Few quick followup questions: Do you have to adjust your Bomber bails when you switch between boots? Are your Primes and TLT5 the same listed shell size (for example Mondo 29)? Thanks Wasatch_Don for the review/comparison. Very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 pm 

TLT5M- I second what W. Don said. That is the only boot I ride at this point. Low profile, light, great flex pattern, great skinning range of motion. The only mod I have done is to expand the walk / ride slot to give a softer forward flex.

F3 - Again, I second what W. Don said about the flex pattern. I also do not really like the bellows (F1 and F3) for side hilling when skinning and for front pointing with crampons. For mellow skinning they were great and walked great.

F1 - I did the Magic Cube mod but the issue with that is a reduced range of motion (stride) when skinning. Even on the lowest setting, the cube still stops the upper cuff from going back far enough. Without a mod they are too stiff for me. I originally only removed the walk / ride bar and added an upper buckle. Before the Magic Cube, the boots had no heelside because they had no stop for the backward movement of the upper cuff.

Dynafit Zzero4s - I had the cheaper, softer plastic version. I made them into a two buckle boot and really liked them. After mods, they had great lateral flex and riding flex. More bulky and heavier than the TLT5M though.

Keffler, the TLT5 and F1s fit in the same binding setting. I sold the F3s but I think they are the same lower shell design. The Zzero4s (and I assume Zzero3s) have a bit longer sole length and need a slightly wider binging adjustment. I wore a 25m in all boots and even used the exact same liner (it is dead now). The TLT5 is just a hair smaller and I need to wear the thinnest socks I can find.