Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VOTE PLEASE: Burton DriverX or Salomon Malamutes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:54 pm 

yes i can NOT make up my mind. i have Burton SL-6's love em but might be too soft for this. PLEASE VOTE. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:15 pm 

I just went with the one that fit best for me and that was the DriverX. Picked up last years model, brand new for 205.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:58 pm 

sounds like u should buy both that way your ass is covered and you won't regret a thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:16 pm 

Dude- you really just have to try them both on and go w/ the best fitting most comfortable one. Each foot is different so someone else telling you a malamute over a burton isn't going to matter when it comes to your feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:37 pm 

My Driver X's just showed up. Given, I've only had them on in the house but they are way stiff. Much more stiff than the '05 32 Forecast's that I wore last year.

FWIW~ Scary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:56 pm 

Scary Mc wrote:
My Driver X's just showed up. Given, I've only had them on in the house but they are way stiff. Much more stiff than the '05 32 Forecast's that I wore last year.

FWIW~ Scary
I have a pair of Malamutes the replaces a set of 04' 32 Forecasts. They are pretty stiff, but not crazily so (I'm only 150 lbs). The Forecasts, while the stiffest boot 32 has, weren't really that stiff (I even used the optional tongue insert to stiffen it up more). I have narrow feet.

Post subject: Malmute vs Driver X
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:25 pm 

Hi,

Thought I would keep the thread alive and add my .02.
I just returned from the store with a new pair of '08 Driver Xs. I have been a dedicated Malamute rider for too many years too remember, but I tried on this years Malamute on one foot, and this years Driver X on the other, and much preferred the D X's flex pattern and fit. Talking to the shop guys, their opinion is that Burton has really tried to improve the D X for this year, listening to the feedback they have been getting from their top dealers.
In comparison, the new Malamute was softer than the D X, and softer than previous years models of Malamute. Also, the forefoot volume of the Malamute seemed to have increased a fair amount, to the point where my medium volume foot seemed to be swimming in the boot more than I would like. I suspect the dual zone lacing on the D X will also be nice feature for splitting, easy to loosen the cuff for touring, and perhaps the Vibram sole will be an advantage in scrambling situations-I hope so, most softboots really do suck when rcok scrambling around couloir entrances!
Now, lets hope for a season with lots of snow, so we can forget about gear, and get to rippin' some lines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:30 pm 

I just picked up a pair of 07 driver x's recently. Burton boots have never fit my feet well and I have always stayed w/ DC and Vans but after comparing these to the DC allegiance it was obvious something had changed in Burton's boots. Apparently Burton put a lot of dough in to R&D on last years boots and completely changed their footbed and mold. ...and it really shows in my opinion.

Kind of worried myself though, they are stiff as Fuck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:01 pm 

snownskate wrote:
Kind of worried myself though, they are stiff as Fuck!!

Don't sweat 'em feeling stiff. I was thinking the same thing when I first put my DriverX's on. Since then I've grown to appreciate the extra support, almost feels like cheating. Toe side turns are easier, skinning is easier, kicking steps is easier, etc.. I can't remember how I got by without 'em. Also you'll find they loosen up a decent amount after a few trips.

Post subject: boots
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:37 pm 

Fuck both of them. I had a pair of Mals and had a problem with the lacing that nearly got me killed. I sent the boots back to Salomon and they sent them back to me as I sent them to them. No letter, redemption ,nothing. I think Burton has dropped the ball on durability. Nothing Burton seems to last more than 1/2 season around here anymore.

Post subject: Try 'em both
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:23 pm 

Graf is right - the only way to know is to put 'em on your feet. I tried on both and settled on Malamutes - far and away the best snowboard boots i've owned: supportive as hell, no foot pain, and they don't suck (much) when you're scrambling over rocks or step-kicking.

You might have a tough time finding a shop that has either in stock, much less both, in MA. I bought mine in the northeast too - it was a pain finding 'em. Call around though, it really is worth trying them to make the decision yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:00 am 

Wilderness House has Malamutes, dunno about Driver X's.

You could order some DX's from REI and return them if the malamute feels better. They have a no-questiosn asked return policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:38 pm 

Can you fit a pair of Grivel G12's on a pair of either boot ( DX or Mal )?

Here are a pair of the Crampons on ebay to give you an idea:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grivel-crampons_W0Q ... dZViewItem